Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can you put an output shaft from a th350 into a th400?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jan 25, 2002.

i know the 27 spline is a step down but it would give me more t-case options.

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

1. come on trannie guys!

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

2. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

The output "hubs" are different in a TH350 than in the TH400. The TH350 has a clutch hub at the end of the tranny where the output is while the TH400 has the planetaries at the output shaft end.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What t-case are you wanting to use? The folks at http://www.advanceadapters.com/acrobat/gm.pdf You'll need the Acrobat Reader to display it.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. advance adapters = $$$ just wondering if there was any interchangability between the 2 cases. a buddy of mine has a couple th400s that are 2wd and i have some th350s so just trying to be cheep.

</font color=blue>

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay. [​IMG] The 400 is way beefier than a 350. I'd be surprised if any of the hard parts are interchangeable between them. You could always sell the 350's to help offset the cost of the adapters. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

you can buy a necked down th400 shaft that will allow you to use th350 inputs on the Tcase. It used to cost about $150 a lot of years ago. Most good tranny shops should be able to help you with this. I ran mine (long story) for 12 years behind a 455 Buick and never broke the 27 spline shaft. Good luck.
    Mike