Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you put power brakes on a truck without them?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jan 5, 2002.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am buying a truck without power brakes (a 2wd) to use the cab on another 4wd tha I may build.

Can I put vacuum assist or hydroboost power brakes on it? It came with an inline six from the factory and no power brakes.

Can I or do I have to find another cab?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Yes you can...may not be a direct bolt on. I'm saying this cus my brothers truck has a power brake set up off a Malibu classic on his 1950 Truck. You may have to snag the pedal that came with it just incase the rod is a different size.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I did the swap on my 73 pick up. I used the power stuff from a 76. Was not hard to do at all.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It would help if you gave more specifics. What model truck? Anyway, it's no problem. Heck, I took a 78(?) 3/4 Ton Chevy power brake booster, master cylinder, and complete front suspension with disk brakes and it all bolted right into my 69 GMC car hauler. Huge improvement. No problems, no fabrication required, seems like I had to drill 2 holes but, maybe that was the 65 1/2 ton I did a power disk brake conversion on...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. i put a 3/4 ton booster and master cyl. from a 71 2wd and put it on a 69 2wd gmc that had manual brakes. no probs and big improvement! easy swap. i sold it before i could put power steering on it.[​IMG]

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just a bolt on or what?

It's a '79 C10 body that will be going on some kind of 4x4 frame.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. a 79 with manul brakes? that's weird. should be able to take one off any 73-87 and bolt it on. the newer ones have the plastic m/c but i still think they work. just get the whole set up. only thing that was a pain on my swap was the manual lines had a different thread size then the power m/c. just had to go to napa and get some fittings to addapt them.

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

8. BadDog

Yes! Did you read my post? It is just a bolt-on from early 60s up to 87, maybe further...

Russ

9. baddog,
    got any pics of your 65 and 69? they sound sweet! gotta love chevy interchangability![​IMG]

</font color=blue>

10. BadDog

Last time I did this manual to power conversion was in the late 80's when I was messing with late 60s and early 70s trucks but, I don't remember the lines being a different size. Most of the time it was part of a drum to disk conversion (often single cylinder to dual at the same time), which would have required prop valve change too. But I've done the "nothing but MC and booster" change too and I don't remember changing the lines, maybe I did and don't remember it. Either way, still just a bolt on...

Russ

11. BadDog

I've got some pictures somewhere. I've moved across the country 4 times in the last 7-8 years so all that stuff is still in boxes. That 69 GMC 1 ton truck was used as a car hauler at my body shop and mini-junkyard.

Russ

12. the lines were different because the power booster came off a disc brake truck and i put it on my 69 with all drums. was eventually going to go disc but would have had to convert the rear to 5 lug or buy expensive 6 lug 2wd rotors.

</font color=blue>

13. BadDog

I did quite a few of those conversions. The entire front suspension cradle is a bolt in operation (7 bolts per side IIRC). Then bolt in the power brake booster/MC. If you have the trailing arms/coils in the back, find a 71-72 (IIRC) rear axle (5 lugs) and that bolts right in. Or, the rear axles can be redrilled (possibly cheaper than finding/buying the rear axle) for 5 lug.

Yes, I *LOVE* the GM interchangeability!

Russ