Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you remove oil pan in BBC K5 easily?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Jul 5, 2006.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I have a '79 K5 with a 4" lift, and a BBC 454. I need to replace the oil pan gasket. It looks like it will be a very close call to remove the pan without lifting the engine [or other PITA manuevers]. Has anyone gotten the pan off as the engine sits? I just moved to Colorado and I had to leave my engine hoist in Ohio, so if I have to lift the engine to get it off I'm in trouble.

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I have done it with a 6.2 diesel and had no problem, never looked a BB though.

3. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

I did it on a 350 easily just had to move the tranny cooler lines. Never a big block though.

4. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Has anybody seen/done this with a BBC? I would think if it can be done with a SBC it should be do-able, or very close. Someone has to know!

5. draggbody

draggbody 1/2 ton status

changed mine w/ no problems... 84 k5, w/ 6" lift BBC... hope this helps...

6. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I've done it once and had to lift the block up as high as possible without disconnecting the transmission. I'd suggest having a cherry picker available.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

done a few...

I've helped drop the oilpan on a few 454 equipped trucks (not factory ones,they were installed by the owners)...depending on the year of the truck,whether its lifted or not,and a few other factors will determine if it will come off "easily"..if you have headers,you might have a harder time..but they do come out without pulling the motor...some trucks have a crossmember directly under the oilpan,some dont..if it does you'll definately have to jack up the engine...

I did the ones I did by removing the motor mount thru bolts,after placing a floor jack under the pan with a block of wood,and jacked the motor up until the bell housing touches the firewall,and put 2x4 wood blocks between the mount thru bolts,(slide them back in temporarily), and the frame mount brackets,to hold it up in the raised position--be aware of the the distributor cap,it can and will shatter if it touches the firewall--best to remove it and lay it aside..also make sure the radiator hoses have enough slack,or you'll rip the bung out of the radiator!:doah: (ask me how I know this!)...and other things like the fan blade touching the radiator,etc..

Sometimes you have to turn the motor over to the #1 firing position to get the crank counterweights out of the pans way to slide it back and remove it..worst part of the job is re-installing the pan without dislodging the end seals and pan gasket..I tie the pan gasket on with string thru the bolt holes,or use silicone to "glue" it on..the end seals I usually use "high tack" to glue them to the pan...but if they make a 1 peice gasket for the big blocks,that would make it much easier--I think Fel-Pro makes one now?...

8. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Mine has a crossmember, but it goes across near the very front of the pan, between and forward of the mounts.

9. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If I dropped the pan on my old 78 Malibu with a 468, then you shouldn't have any probs. I just pulled the motor mount bolts, and lifted it enough to get the pan off.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

also look for a 1 peice pan gasket kit. thay go on a bit harder but vary well worth the money as it is reusable and thay dont leak like others do.

i had one on my old 400sbc and loved it.