Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you replace spindle bearings?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backyardbuilt, Jun 5, 2003.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

If so how. Thanks for any Info Ryan.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Spindle bearings? You mean the roller bearing inside of the front spindles? </font>

3. backyardbuilt

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sure you can replace them. I'm pretty sure the part number is SBK-1 for the D44, it includes the bearing plus the seals that go on the u-joint end of the stubshaft to seal the backside of the spindle. Costs about $8 IIRC. The roller bearing can be tapped out from the opposite end of the spindle, they can be a bitch but they will come out.</font>

5. backyardbuilt

Thanks I just didn't want to start pounding and be there for a week on something that didn't come out. A broken stub shaft killed my rollor bearings.

6. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

you still dont have all those 10 bolts around do you? look at one of those&gt; call if you need some help. I'm sure Brett and Emerson would love to help! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a slide hammer with the hook on the end does a good job as well.

8. backyardbuilt

they all went to the scrap yard, I just used the last spare spindle I had so I have 2 that need new roller bearings so before I need 1 I wanted to get them fixed.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> There is a tool that bike shops use, commonly called a "rocket tool", it's used to remove bearing races from head tubes. They work great for removing that bearing. If you have a bike shop local to you and you can't get the thing out, I'd suggest taking a drive down there to see if they'll pound it out. Probably won't charge you anything to do it, especially if you bring them a 6 pack. </font>

10. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> There is a tool that bike shops use, commonly called a "rocket tool", it's used to remove bearing races from head tubes. They work great for removing that bearing. If you have a bike shop local to you and you can't get the thing out, I'd suggest taking a drive down there to see if they'll pound it out. Probably won't charge you anything to do it, especially if you bring them a 6 pack. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

No wonder's the idiots on bicycles around here can't stay on the side of the road (they ride right down the damn middle), there to drunk to stay on the shoulder /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif There must be alot of people replacing spindle bearings around here lately, especially since the weather has gotten warmer /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

P.S. I have found using a solid piece of brass to knock them out (stuck through the other end) works well and doesn't hurt the spindle itself.

12. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

the best thing i found for this is a 2 jaw puller. make it so the jaws face out, then put a small punch between the jaws laying on the face of the spindle so the bolt of the puller is pushing on the punch. this way the punch pushes against the jaws for a tighter grip at the same time it comes out. using this method i have always been able to get them out in 1 or 2 minutes each without the hassle of hammering.

13. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Ryan,

Call Ron Istas at Inland Truck Parts in KC. Look them up in the white pages or online. Ron will give you the best deal on seals and bearings for your D60, and will give you the right parts first! Go Spicer joints too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. backyardbuilt

bigblock44k5 I think thats the best Idea so far plus I have a puller to use. Thanks

Mudzer I was gonna do that since I'm part of KC4WDA I get a discount on parts from him to.

15. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

we know all about those pullers dont we! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    in, out, ground down /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif