Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you run a 2nd gen lift on a 1st gen truck?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clubba68, Aug 28, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

As the post says, I was wondering if you can run a 2nd gen lift on a 1st gen truck. I read through some old posts and read that our spring hangers are 3" shorter. Is this true, and if so, can I just relocate them to accept 3" longer front springs? Are the rears OK?
    Thanks,
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

you can move em for the front but its a pain. 1 1/2 both directions keepes it all centered. the back ones are all 52" iirc. unles its a one ton then theyu are 56" you should be able to find some used ones pretty cheap around here just use the right ones.

nathan

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I jsut bought a welder and got my TC EZ-rides (73-up 4" version) shipped to my door from ORD. After welding up the crack in my frame and reinforcing it some I am going to move the front spring hanger forward 1.8" (the spacing between the rivits that attach it to the body mount). For the rear I am just going to make a longer shackle (haven't desided how much longer yet...). I'll try and post some pics when it is done.

4. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

No you can not run a 2nd gen kit on a 1st gen...YES 1st gen's have have shorter springs 3"....YES you can relocated them, but why both OEM and aftermarket stuff is available...also the rears are OK 52" and if you want to buy new shackles for the rear GM sells them with bushing already in the but if you want Poly bushing there 1 3/8....energy supension sells 1 3/8 bushing for the rear.. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

You can just remove the rivets holding the front hanger on, notch it to fit farther forward on the frame, and re-attach it with the 2 rear holes lined up where the front ones were, drill 1 hole in the frame for the front mount hole, and make a bracket coming off the frame for the outer bolt if you want too. I never made it around to that and with 3 bolts my suburban has been launched in the sand quite a few times with no issues. It will move the axle forward but its not that noticeable and it gives you more clearance form the back of the fender when the shackle compresses.

6. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah and the rears give you 2" less than the advertised lift on 67-72's

7. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yea most but not skyjacker I bought a 4" lift and the rear's were for 6" pickup...

8. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yea most but not skyjacker I bought a 4" lift and the rear's were for 6" pickup...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, thats exactly what I said -your 4" lift kit came with 6" rear springs because the advertised lift is for 73-91 pickups.