Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you run a CV driveshaft with 208?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, May 20, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Here's the deal... I am slowly starting to acquire all my stuff for my 1-ton build-up. In order to acquire, I need to get some questions answered. I currently run 35s on 10-bolts axles with 4" spring lift using a 700/208. I plan to run 42s on 14BFF/D60 with 6 or 8" front springs and shackle flip in rear 9with current springs). I still would like to run my 700/208 combo. Because of the suspension travel, is my 208 slip-yoke design going to be an issue with this setup? If so, can I run a CV driveshaft with the slip yoke? There isn't a SYE for the 208 that I am not aware of, is there? How would YOU run this combo?

Thanks in advance.

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Yes you can run a CV w/208 case. A SYE can be had for a 208 using Dodge parts. Do a search for 208 SYE. You'll get a ton of stuff...
    Jim

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I don't think there is any one company making the slip yoke elim. but there are individuals doing it (can't think of his name right now) but he has pictures and eerything on how he did it. (using front part chevy and rear part dodge) and jess from High Angle Driveline makes a CV style driveshaft for the slip yoke 208 and is prety beefy

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I Don't know about the 208 but www.jbconversions.com has one for the 241. I Don't know how much difference there is in between them but they might have something for it. There number is (337)625-2379. I plan to use there kit for my T-case. Found them in an article in petersen's a few months ago. Not sure on which one but it's then one with the yellow 69 or 70 K5 on the cover. Hope this helps.

James

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

PM K10ANDYKHAMNIC ... He can help you with making a 208 fixed yoke. Otherwise you can buy a CV styleshaft for a 208 or any other slipe yoke style tcase.

6. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

the dodge way is the best fixed yoke style - but we offer a one ton c/v conversion that has spline's all the way down the yoke not like the cheesy cady slip- and a one year waranty also- Jess 530-877-2875

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I saw you in Four Wheeler magazine! Congrats! It'd be a dream to get my truck in that magazine.

How would I run that combo? I'd figure out how to get a 205 behind a 700R4 and ditch that worthless NP 208. I hate them.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Hmmm.. the 208 is about the only thing on my truck that has never broken.

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Thanks. It was definitely cool to find out I was in it. I really didn't expect to be. I made one run through the mud pit and spent a large portion of the rest of the day pulling people out. There was one spot on the obstacle course where we knew people would have trouble. We had a very capable, winch-equipped Cherokee stationed in the woods there. If someone broke anywhere else or got hung up, I had to go get them out. Some were quite challenging!

I might get rid of the 208 by the time I do the 1-ton conversion, but we'll see. Nice thing about the 208 is that it is lightweight and easy to service. Only real strength issues I have heard of is the aluminum casing. If I can get it up high enough and eliminate the slip yoke, those issues may be minimized. But, I have never heard of a 208 failing internally.

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I had a friend that worked at NVG in Syracuse and he said they never really broke a 208 in testing, the tranny or a u joint would always go first. This included dropping it into reverse while doing about 35 mph in 4 hi. If you ever take a 208 apart you'll see how big the chain is, it's pretty beefy. It'd take a LOT more power to break it than most of us have in our rigs.
    Most people complain about the case cracking, which I can see happening. I've cringed quite a few times when I felt the truck drop down onto it, even with a skid plate under there. It doesn't take much to break cast aluminum but I will say I've been impressed with the punishment mine has taken.

11. JP's K5

JP's K5 Registered Member

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My 208 has been good to me with two exceptions. It leaked and the slip yoke clunked. Other than that, it worked fine.

I'm sure the 205 I'm putting it its place will be better though.