Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can you run a NP205 upside down?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Mar 1, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Post title pretty much asks my question. I know lots of guys have clocked them to varying degrees. Obviously the breather tube and drain or whatever is on a 205 would have to be addressed. What about oiling?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Why take the chance when you can get a Ford t-case with the front output on the opposite side and not have to take a chance of screwing anything up as far as the oiling system goes?

Seriously, I think if you turned a GM t-case upside down, you are gonna have oiling problems....the gears inside won't get their required amount of oiling to keep them cool and lubed.

Find a Ford 205 and swap the input shaft from a GM into the Ford. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. cybrfire

Did Ford make a 205 divorced case. I thought about the Ford option but didn't know if they did the divorced thing or not...

4. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Yep. I see them on Ebay every now and again. I am getting one with my RC60 The joys of Iowa farm trucks.

Edit: Not from the same truck. Ford ran them until 76, I think. A guy that works for me bought a bunch of old Furds last year. I get first shot at the parts. Too bad he won't sell me the 77 K30 he bought.

/forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. thatK30guy

Yes, Fords ran divorced, or remotes, t-cases on their Highboy series trucks. These are the F250's. They ran from '67-'77. Divorced 205's and 203's were both available on the F250's while all the F150's ran married, or mated, t-cases.
    In '77 1/2, Ford was at the "changing" year where they changed the F250 t-cases to the married version, to match the F150's. The Highboy was no longer. These '77 1/2 up to '79 were classified the Lowboys.

Divorced 205's are plentiful. Farm trucks are the most common sources to scrounge them from. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Another helpful tip on the '77 and '77 1/2 Fords: the '77 and older trucks ran the FE engines...the 360, 390, 427, 428, etc. while the '77 1/2 changed over to the 351M, 400, etc. Two different engine classifications and yes, two different bellhousing classifications, too. Motor mounts are also different and neither size will swap directly into the other year unless you get or buy the steel mounts at the frame ends.

Ford fawked up a lot of things over the years. Too many engine variations along with tranny bellhousings make Fords one of the tougher vehicles to maintain. They are also the worst headaches anyone could ever have when working on their electrical systems. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    They are also the worst headaches anyone could ever have when working on their electrical systems.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't know, to me Triumphs & MGs are worse.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    They are also the worst headaches anyone could ever have when working on their electrical systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn straight, lights by "Lucas the Prince of Darkness". /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. cybrfire

Thanks K30guy, Now I know what year ford I'm looking for. 67-77 F250. That will cut the laying on the ground time quite a bit...

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

77's had both. Early 77's were divorced...late 77's were married so make sure to keep that in mind.

10. thatK30guy

Yep, already stated above. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yes, Fords ran divorced, or remotes, t-cases on their Highboy series trucks. These are the F250's. They ran from '67-'77. Divorced 205's and 203's were both available on the F250's while all the F150's ran married, or mated, t-cases.
    In '77 1/2, Ford was at the "changing" year where they changed the F250 t-cases to the married version, to match the F150's. The Highboy was no longer. These '77 1/2 up to '79 were classified the Lowboys.

[/ QUOTE ]

11. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Yes the 205 can be run upside down with now problems. I have one that has been run for several years and was even used in TTC a few years ago and the guy won several events and came in 4th overall. I now have that set up

12. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

One good think about Ford 205s is they used the same case and spline count on all their trannys,Autos and sticks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. thatK30guy

True that...true that!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Re: Worst Electrical systems

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn straight, lights by "Lucas the Prince of Darkness". /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Y'all ain't seen nothing until you've worked on a '65 Abarth-Simca Corsa 2000 GT. Built by an Austrian, in Italy, starting with a French car, with electrical parts sourced from both Lucas AND Magnet Marelli......

Phords are simple. GM's are just as simple, but a little different in philosophy.

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: Worst Electrical systems

[ QUOTE ]
    '65 Abarth-Simca Corsa 2000 GT

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not working on any thing I can't pronounce. [ QUOTE ]
    Built by an Austrian, in Italy, starting with a French car, with electrical parts sourced from both Lucas AND Magnet Marelli......

[/ QUOTE ] Sounds like your avrage Jeep. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

the years on the highboys are correct, but the earlier one's used a D24 t-case. They used these until the early 70s (71-73, somewhere in there I think they switched to the 205)