Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you say "flat belly"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jk5blazer, Jan 30, 2007.

1. jk5blazer

jk5blazer 1/2 ton status

Just got done with the clocking ring and flatbelly cross member. All I need to do is make the skid plate. It took awhile and wasn't as easy as I thought it was but all and all I'm pleased. The front drive shaft angle could be better but it will do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:D It looks kinda like mine

100_0912 700X527.jpg

100_0646 700X527.jpg

4. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

As soon as I figure out what the hell Im going to run for a T case I hope to have mine flat. The 208 has to go.

Looks good!!!!:bow:

5. jk5blazer

jk5blazer 1/2 ton status

Yeah mine will go as soon as I can get the 203/205 kit. I have both cases just not the important parts:D . Just thought I would make this work for now. $65.00 dollars and more time then expected, but worth it.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

looks great. i too have both cases, i just dont have the most important parts yet:doah: hopefully soon

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

What is that short adapter out of? I think it is the one I have in my K5 just not sure. If so I am already ahead just need the ring and fab up a crossmember:D. Oh yeah and cut a hole in the floor:D

Ira

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the short adapter is from a 350-208. I got mine off Ebay for $20. I have all the parts laying around to do the clock and flat bottom. just ahve to find the time.

could you take some pics of the angle on the front shaft? also how much clearance did you make for the case in the floor? how much body lift would it have taken to clear without cutting? the reason I ask is that I am going to clock mine. then take out as much bodylift height as I can. I have a 3" bodylift now. little more :hack: :grind: on the fenders and I will not need as much.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

HMMM, I have a 700-208 and I am pretty sure my adapter looks just like the short one. Atleast height wise.

Ira

10. gmc4cw

ok, I don't know. I think its a year thing. my 83 had the taller adapter and the U shaped crossmember. my 85 blazer has the shorter adapter and the W crossmember. both trucks have 700's.:dunno: I plead the fifth since I'm drinking.:rolleyes: the blazer plow truck at work has the short adapter also and its and 81+. I give up.:crazy:

I just know that I bought a short adapter and plan to flat bottom my truck even though I have never snagged my T-case on anything. prevention is a good enough reason for modification.

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yesiree.

My crossmember is that crazy double hump as if you cut the W one in half and flipped one side upside down. Almost like an S on its side like this ~

Ira

12. greyhoundjc

greyhoundjc 1/2 ton status

That looks really nice! Clocking mine is moving up on my list of things to do. Your just down the road from me. I'm over in Woodstock. Nice to see some some more Georgia people on here.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

kick ass. A flat belly is definitely nice to have. I'm gonna get my 203/205 as flat as I can, and cover the skid with a sheet of UHMW. That oughta get me up'n'over.

j

14. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The setup looks good. A couple things you should watch out for:

The front driveshaft angle. Make sure you have plenty of down movement. I busted a High Angle Driveline 1350 from over-extending it with my Atlas, that is clocked flat.

Another thing is to watch the body to transfercase interference. I thought I had plenty of room between my case and the floor. I had a good 1-1.5" clearence, but the first tree stump I jumped proved me wrong. The body came down on the case and stripped the 4 bolt holes that hold the adaptor to the tranny...

Oh, and is it just the picture or is your tube crossmember flexing?

15. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Very cool, I'll be doing the same thing after axles and suspension mods are done

16. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

how is everyone liking there 241? anybody having any problems. mine is fixed but is anyone actually breaking them?

17. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Flat belly pan is nice... and just like so many other improvements, once you get it and learn to drive w/ it - you wonder how you ever made it before doing the mod. Good job w/ those clocked t-cases...!

[​IMG]

Marv

18. gmc4cw

I have not broken one wheeling. I did break one flat towing the truck and having it jump into gear. A friend of mine broke one wheeling, his passenger thought he was helping out by shifting from 4-lo to 2-hi while they were still moving.:doah:

If I break the one in my truck I will probably just replace it with another since you can get one in my area for $50-70, and I know everything will bolt right up. A doubler would be nice but then I would need new shafts, custom crossmembers, and it weighs a lot more.

19. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

Clearance

Looking good. What kind of clearance do you have between your front driveshaft and crossmember at full droop? I built an adapter plate to shift my crossmember back ~ 4" to avoid interference.

20. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My carrier bearing is mounted to the crossmember:D ... no interference.

100_1422 700X527.jpg