Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can you still drive with....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 26, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

If you break a front axleshaft or Ujoint can you still drive in 2wd on the street... or will you not be able to turn or something? Im worried since i drive mystuff out to the trails if i break something in the front (not worried about rear 14bolt) i wont get home.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Should be fine.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can drive just fine, just unlock the hubs. That's what I did this year when I broke my front shaft at the 4wd show. I wasn't about to pull all that crap apart at the show.

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

aw well shiat, then i dont need to be carrying aorund spares and worried about doing trail fixes so much.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You do if you're stuck on the trail and you need 4wd to get it home to your nice warm shop to work on it.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    You do if you're stuck on the trail and you need 4wd to get it home to your nice warm shop to work on it.

[/ QUOTE ] YEP!!!, I had a sticky lockout hub and was stuck in the soft ground in 2WD with fire racing my direction in a grassy field once. I pulled out my reciever hitch and banged on the hub till it turned and then drove the f uck out of there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Almost lost the K5. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

well that's what buddies, tow straps, and winches are for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

If you had spares why wouldn't you just change it?? I don't like leaving broken crap in the knuckle. Being broken the shafts can slid around and bind up the knuckle. When this happens on the street you can't turn and almost run into a light pole. Ask me how I know...

I can change a shaft in about 20 minutes or less if I have too.

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

EeeeeZackly... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

What, when you people break, you are done for the weekend? We wrench on the trail and keep going. OBA is killer! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, of course I'd try and do a fix, but I was just wondering.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't fix that [darn] on the trail. I'd leave it and drive home. No way I'd do all tha work to my truck while it was dripping with wet clay, unless to fix it would be the only way out.

12. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I'm always on the rocks... but i'd still fix it or take it out... Like I said before they can make your knuckle bind and make you head straight at a light pole /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I broke my rear drive shaft, totally destroyed the slip yoke and u-joints (this was on my 72). I had a spare shaft, but the slip yoke was no good. Drove all the way home (70 miles) in 4HI (basically front wheel drive). 35mph was a long trip. Stopped every 10 miles or so and let the t-case cool down. Next summer, I'll have just about spare everything for the driveline. Don't really wanna do that again. Make sure you dont have any pieces hanging off the diff or t-case. makes a mess...

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Most of the time you can drive home okay after you have broken a front axleshaft, but if it breaks in the right spot you could have troubles even when in 2wd and with the hubs unlocked. The worst case you could just pull the broken shaft out and put it back together.

I don't necessarily like working on a muddy vehicle on the trail but I have replaced front shafts twice on my old 10-bolt front. The one time I could have gotten back to pavement fairly easy but, as Mudzer mentioned, we were a long way from home and I would have hated to miss all of the fourwheeling. The second time we were right in the middle of a long trail and it would have been very difficult to get off the trail in 2wd, especially with no winch on my vehicle and all of the other vehicles were Jeeps.