Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you swap a 350 vortec into a 1990?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Oct 14, 2000.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

I'm considering a new engine for my 1990 350 tbi solid axle suburban. Several options all pricey, I was thinking of building up a 350 and using my tbi system but by the time I get done getting the edelbrock cam/heads/manifold and pistons block ect.. The costs are out of hand. It seems like getting a low milage 350 vortec from a junk yard would be a good deal. So, can it be done? Can the vortec computer be installed in my vehicle? Do they make a wiring harness for this swap? Will my 700r4 tranny work with this? Do i need to get the vortec's tranny also? I want to use the vortec's fuel injection.

2. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

One thing to keep in mind is staying smog legal ! You should be able to put one in with an aftermarket wire harness. Some companies will make them to order. Just tell them what you have, and what you need, and whamo!Keep in mind that these harneses can get expensive too! check with a local auto electrical shop, they may be able to set you up for less. As for the tranny, it should bolt right up! Since they still offer the 700's on new trucks. before buying anything call the states smog referee, and ask them what it will take to pass smog. And it pays to shop around...alot!!!

3. 91KJIMMY

91KJIMMY Registered Member

You can do it, and there are kits to Replace the TBI system if you just want a better fuel injection system. I know edelbrock makes a kit part#3505 That is just for putting a vortec long block in 87-95 TBI trucks so it may be worth it to take a look at that setup.

4. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Do I use the computer from the donor vortec truck? Will it not be smog legal (1997's are cleaner than my 1990)? How can I use the computer from the donor if my 700r tranny is not electronic? or is it?

5. 91KJIMMY

91KJIMMY Registered Member

oh yeah I forgot the stock GM computer system will not work in the 90 Sub. The 96 and newer truck ECM is calibrated to work with senders that are not in the older trucks, so the ECM would give DTC's "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" saying there was an engine malfunction every time you drove it.It would also affect the engine performance when they set. So the best thing to do if you used the Vortec would be go with the aftermarket EFI setup.

6. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

If you want to do it right, get the whole engine, sensors and all, and the ECM. Leave the harness there. You can buy a swap harness from Arizona Speed and Marine, and you will have to have the ECM reprogrammed (also ASM). I think that howell-efi.com has a harness now, too. The vortech ECM mounts under the hood, BTW. But you WILL have to get the computer reprogrammed because of tranny differences and security change. You'll also need a new fuel pump, $50 or so for the in-tank model.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

7. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

It looks like I'm gonna buy the vortec replacement long block and the get the edelbrock TBI to TPI (vortec conversion). Has anyone gone this route?

SNOWBIRD