Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you swap an IFS 1/2 to 3/4 ton?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by MilpitasK5, Dec 7, 2002.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

My buddy picked up a 98' burb with an 6 or 8 inch lift on 39s plus a 3 inch body lift. It's all pretty but everything is starting to break b/c he has a heavy foot!

What can he do to beef it up? It's 1/2 ton.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

the rear is easy get a 14bFF and put it under there the front is uncharted territory to me. what gears he runnin? he should use about 4.88s.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Switching the front to 8 lug would be a nightmare, you'd have to pull the entire crossmember out and switch them with a 3/4 ton truck...the best thing would be to switch it to a SFA front end, probably be cheaper anyway! If he can't do that, switch the rear end to a 6 lug 14 bolt, and that's about all you can do to IFS...

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

PS...39's have NO business on IFS...my friends IFS burb with 33's constantly gets knocked off alignment.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The lift kit for a 1/2-ton IFS is different than the one for a 3/4-ton IFS, so swapping to the bigger IFS would indeed be a nightmare and probably cost a small fortune, especially after buying the correct lift kit for it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

A Ford Dana 60 up front would have the diff on the correct side. Then a 14-bolt FF out back and some new 8-lug wheels would round out the package. Then he would have a VERY stout rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Off Road Unlimited has a conversion kit to remove the IFS crap and install a SFA. The kit is a little spendy though. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Regarding the option HarryH3 mentioned (swapping in a dana 60 - which is by far the best option) you may want to contact willyswanter (member here). This is his website: www.industrialoffroad.com
    (willys...hope you don't mind me linking your site/using your awesome crew cab as an example of how to do things right) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

He busted his rear end already so he got it repaired and regeared for $1200 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. He did that before talking to me about it b/c I told him he should have gotten a 14bFF. It would have been cheaper.

I thought it would be pretty crazy to try to convert a 1/2 ton to 3/4 in and IFS. I just have no clue how those things work so I wanted to ask.

I'll check out the link that you gave too. This will be fun to see which direction he decides to go in.

Thanks,
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Use a Chevy or Dodge front axle instead, and just use an additional divorced NP205 from an older Dodge. Dual t-cases - now that rocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif