Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you tell the gearing from this pic?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prossett, Dec 3, 2005.

1. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Related to the thread on 35s in the sands, can any gearing guru tell what the gearing is from this pic?

It's out of a 1983 GM 10 bolt. (and I forgot to count when I had it out@!!!!!)

[​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Look on the edge of the ring gear and you'll find a series of numbers. Post up those numbers and we can decode them for you. The last 4 groups of numbers are what are important.

An example would be 11 41 10 83

In my example the 10 83 part is the build date, the 11 41 is the gear ratio...in this case 3.73's.

Rene

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The only way to tell is if you can see the numbers that are stamped into the gear which aren't visable from this pic.

4. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

If the gears are the stock ratio, check the glove compartment for the RPO code.

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

You can see that it is a dang thin ring gear so it is probably one or two ratios from a carrier split.

6. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

OK, I was hoping there was some formula (I do remember seeing it somewhere, though...) where you counted the number of teeth and then divided by some other number... but it doesn't matter 'cause it was just a lucky shot on my part.

However, I can certainly take down the RPO code from the glovebox, and note the numbers off the ring next time it's out.

Thanks. What's "one or two ratios from a carrier split"?

7. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

yeah, you can count the teeth on your ring gear and then divide that by the number of teeth on your pinion. reading the number is easier tho, for sure.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If the axle is a 10 bolt then it could be anywere from 2.73 to 5.13 I am pretty sure they all used the same carrier. You could photoshop the picture and put an X on the carrier and count the teeth in one quadrant then multiply by 4 that should get you close. But then again some ring gears have 41 teeth and the ratio is adusted by the pinion. I know 3.73, 4.10, and 4.56 all have 41 teeth and the pinion drops one tooth for each ratio with 3.73 having 11 on the pinion. Sorry I can not be of anymore assistance.

Ira

9. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

IIRC the ring gear in my stock 10B had 41 teeth as well, however it was a 3.43 ratio. Just adds to your options. Anyway, if you have any pics of your pinion, or you know how many teeth it has, using 41 teeth for your ring gear in prelim. calculations will give you a pretty accurate #. BTW mine was an 83 as well.

10. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

My bet is 3.08. Just a guess. But is it me or is the ring gear kinda skinny?

11. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

You guys are awesome, and my link to a saner world!!! Absolutely great assistance!! No need to apologize whatsoever. Without you I'm asking a guy from Bangladesh, who speaks almost no English, who used to build concrete block houses, and who now is a car mechanic with no more training than I have and certainly less enthusiasm - so, you see how valuable your advice is.

I'll edit in the RPO code from the glovebox in a few minutes, and see if that gives us a clearer idea.

EDIT: In the glove box all I get is the VIN: 1G5EK18DF501910, and the decoder I found doesn't give me gearing.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There should be a sticker in the glove box with a long list of 3 digit codes. G80, GT4, etc etc.

Post those up and someone here will be able to tell you what the stock ratio should have been.

Rene

13. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Exactly, look HERE To decode most of your 3 character codes, for sure your gearing code.

14. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Just my luck, there's only one sticker that tells me this vehicle cannot carry a slip-in camper, and the VIN. That's all.

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Do you have a tach? If so post up your RPM at a given speed, your transmission, and your tire size and we could get it within a close guesstimate.

Also in 83 the RPO sticker might have been under the hood on the drivers side fenderliner.

Ira

16. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

No tach - I'll go check the engine compartment.

No sticker in the engine compartment - but the good news is I've found my 5" needle-nose pliers I'd lost about 2 weeks ago!!! :D

Would there be any numbers stamped on the axle itself to identify the stock gears?