Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you weld a 12 bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jeff1976, Jul 28, 2002.

1. jeff1976

jeff1976 Registered Member

Can a 12 bolt be welded like a 14 bolt can? There has been a lot of post concerning the 14 bolt welding and I would like to do my 12 bolt if it is possible. Any info is appreciated.

2. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If you run bigger tires be prepared to brake thnings... But, Yes, yes you can

3. jeff1976

jeff1976 Registered Member

I currently have 33" Swampers and that is as big as I will go until I install my 14 FF. Until the 14 bolt install, I would like to have a cheap rear locking differential. I just need to know exactly how to modify the 12 bolt. Also, does anyone else have a welded 12 bolt?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't. You'll break it.

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You can weld it up. Do a search in the ORD forum for complete details.

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Yes you can weld your 12 bolt. Just keep in mind that once it's welded there is no going back. The way I have always done mine is to weld the spider & side gears where they mesh together and then weld all of them to the carrier (on both sides of course). Alot of people I have seen just do one or the other but I like the added insurance of not having to worry about the weld breaking loose. If you decide to weld it up just remember to take your time and let the carrier cool down every few minutes.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I welded the one in my Jimmy. It held up fine with 35x15.50 TSL's... I just welded in where the gear mesh. You have to weld 8 times(4 times per side of the carrier). I didn't weld the gears to the carrier in case it broke, I would just have to replace the spiders.

A friend of mine did the same to his and he is running 38.5 boggers.

You'll be fine!