Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can you

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by waterboy, Aug 7, 2000.

1. waterboy

waterboy Registered Member

can you run 4.56 gears on a gm 10 bolt front and 10 bolt rear with 37 inch swqampers

2. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

If you never take it off-road, maybe. You will drive around with the constant fear of breakage, as they will break, it is only a matter of time.

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

swqampers??????????????????

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. AtlassII . Spray in liner.

4. waterboy

waterboy Registered Member

what about a dana 60 front and a 14 bolt sf rear both having 4.56 gears

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Everything has a break point. The one ton setup is the way to go. It will last you longer.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What about ORD? They are running a 10 bolt in the front with 4.56, locker and 37's and they haven't reported any problems as of yet. And they are running a 12 bolt in the rear which is only one step up from the 10 bolt. I know they are running the FF kit in the 12bolt, but still, they took out a 14FF to put it in!

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

You kinda have to ask yourself who built that 10 bolt. I am not saying that 10 bolts are bad. I am just saying that everyhing has a breaking point. And if you have enough $$$$ to remedy that problem or sponsers to get parts from. Then please GOD share the wealth brother!!!!!!!!! As far as I am concerned I would go with the setup that keeps my down time, few and far between. As I said, everything has a breaking point, my wallet can/will stop before my truck. As with anyone else. No anger felt, no anger projected. BTW, if you do have the $$$$$ or sponsers, share the wealth:):):):):):):)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Emmettology 101

But htey have access to anythign just like we do, of course their wallets are a lot bigger(than mine at least) but they have a stock trussed housing with an ARB and their axle shafts and spicer 297 u-joints. I am not sure what hubs they run, but they do say that they use fusible clutch rings in premium hubs. What are "fusible Clutch rings" in premium hubs???????

Other than that it looks like a pretty straight forward 10 bolt.

Mike [​IMG]

9. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

What are "fusible Clutch rings" in premium hubs???????

To be honest, my wheels are spinning in the mud on that one too. It probably out of my $$$ range. I guess we see eye to eye on the deep pockets issue.

10. Emmettology 101

Definately on the deep pockets issue! I wish mine were that deep.

I have never heard of those Fusible clutch rings before..

Also, I amm one of those people that thinks the 10bolt gets a bad rap. I had one frotn and rear in my Jimmy before and never had a problem and I beat the hell out of that thing going wheelin 3-5 times a week. Only once did I have an axle break in the rear and I think I would have broke a 14FF if I had one in there under the circumsatnces(had the rear of the blazer off the ground about 6 ft and had the throttle floored and then it dropped back down and I broke an axle)
    Other than that problem they were good to me, I even had an Eaton Gov-Lok in the rear and it never gave me any problems even with that axle breakage.

Now I run a 44 in the frotn which there really isn't any advantage from the 10 bolt in strength, this one just had better gears, and I have a 12 bolt in the rear. I think I will stick with this setup until I start breaking things on a normal basis.

Mike [​IMG]

11. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I am running both 10's front and back with 4.56 gears, and 36x14.50 Mickey Thompsons, I have had any problems, I also plow in the winter too. Dont get me wrong it is very possible that any day they might just take a dump..

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com