Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Canadian auto parts rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tRustyK5, Sep 2, 2006.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[rant]

So there is no mistake I love living in Canada, however there are a few things that just make me ask WTF??

Aftermarket auto parts is a particularly sore spot with me. Like most of us here I spend a fair amount of time researching parts purchases well before buying them and i pretty much know what I want when I'm ready to buy. Over and over again Canadian parts stores/chains fall well short of the mark in comparison to US parts stores/chains.

Big name aftermarket brands can be difficult to find here, and yet we're not far from the US where they're made. Canadian business's have very little online presence, or info, or even the ability to order stuff. I do try to support my local economy whenever possible, but sometimes it's just not possible.

Today was a great example. I need a new clutch for my truck so I can start putting it back together. LuK Pro-Gold is what i wanted...shouldn't be too hard, they're a big company. Spent two hours on the phone, online and driving to various stores...nothing, nada, zilch, blank stares. Online was a joke. OK, a close second choice is the Hays Super-Truck diesel clutch. I check their site and they claim a couple of local chains sell their stuff. So I go to one...blank stares, no clue, don't have it, do you want a POS generic clutch?

Call the second chain...yeah we can get that, it'll be $400 and 6 weeks delivery. :doah: It's $229 US on the Jegs site. So, I called Jeg's 1-800 number and ordered it from them. It'll be here in under a week and for less than the local guys want.

This is just one example, there are very few aftermarket products that are easily available here for a competitive price. Forget anything online too...in fact the automotive online experience with Canadian companies is a complete joke.

[/rant]

Rene

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Them damn Canadians:mad: :mad: :mad: Probably all from Alberta to:mad: :mad: :mad:

:D :D :haha: :haha:

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Sorry? How's about you call me I'll find the part, mark it up say, 50% and then I'll send it to ya.

Sounds like a good idea to me anyway.:haha:

4. tRustyK5

= Canadian auto parts business plan. :rolleyes: :haha:

At least the Canadian dollar isn't too far off the US dollar now. 3 years ago 39.5" TSL's ran me $500 cdn each here...:yikes: :yikes:

Oddly, I wasn't even surprised at the time.

Rene

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

With that kind of mark up it almost sounds like they are getting it from Jegs.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

BLAME CANADA! :haha:

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hey I hear you my canadian brother!!!

no we dont have it but i can order it for you,

OK order it. how long to get it?

oh I have to check another computer......... oh i cant get it.

ok check for a gas one.

we dont have it i can order it for you.

ok order it.

oh we cant get it.

I say screw it, local companys that mighteven carry the thing i am looking for want and arm and a leg, I tell them what I can get it for and they try to tell me they cant even get it that cheap! yeah right!

hell I have the wifes aunt in detroit 3 hours from me, and they got an empty basement and garage, i just send it down there and then go for a visit! hey it lets me hit the duty free too! :D :D :D

8. tRustyK5

Big thumbs up for Jegs.com!! :bow: :bow:

Number one, they use Fed-Ex which means the customs brokerage and tax is paid up front and is part of the shipping cost. That in turn means it shows up here and I don't have to shell out even more cash like I would with UPS...

Number two, service was very quick. I ordered just before the long weekend and was told my order would not be shipped until the following tuesday which i expected. Exactly one week after it shipped it was on my doorstep.

Number three, I open the box and they added a few Jegs stickers, a catalog and a decent quality ballcap, and a parts return form in case there was a problem. Well done Jegs!!

It's a real pleasure to do business with a company that has it's shizit together for a change.

Rene

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

So my offer of a miniscule markup to ship is no longer so attractive?

10. tRustyK5

Your generous offer is still gonna work for me. Jeg's doesn't sell anywhere close to everything I could or do need. It was nice to find a good vendor to deal with though. Definitely made my 'A' list.

Rene

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Jegs is a nice place to deal with. And the people in their store front are very nice and helpful... Kind of the same feel that Summit used to give you when they were smaller. :)