Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Canadian Border / DUI issues?? !!HOT!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AkMudr, Mar 1, 2005.

1. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Canadian Border / DUI issues

I will be driving back to AK in April and I recently found out that the Canadian border folks are not letting people travel thru canada if they have ANY record of DUI in there past?

This is kinda hot so if ANYONE here knows somethin about this post it up!!!!!

Ys, I have a DUI so this kinda might **** me. I'll be on military orders so this might/might not be an issue!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I havent heard of this....

Ca cant access US databases for arrest records to my knowledge... how would they know?would you tell them? do they have a declaration form....???

Even if they could access some kind of database the individual states wouldnt cooperate.... so unless you snitch yourself off.....

any other LEO's know?

canada.... its getting like france north

cam

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Apparently from what Ive read the border officials have some kind of database that links them to the US, so they can pull up a persons' records. They can deny access but for a 1 time 200$CDN fee, that will take 4 hours to process I can get in, but I will keep searchin and hopin to get a fo sho answer on this. Bein stuck at the border would blow.

Even GW Bush had to get a waiver :D

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

so you're out what? $3.00 and 4 hours of your time?

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

IF they let me, apparently not everyone qualifies for the temporary application, and its about $150US, no big deal. Ive read that it really depends from person to person and who it is at the border who ends up talking to you at the time you come rollin up. I could care less about the time and money, its the fact that I dont wanna get turned around.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sucks doesn't it...

They do have access to way more info than you'd ever guess. I think as long as you're up front, and it's been a while it won't be a big deal. FWIW, the reverse is also true. A DUI up here (or any criminal conviction) will make crossing from Canada into the US just as much a PITA. It's a two way street...so there's no need to feel hard done by. :)

I still ocassionally get questioned about a police incident in Oregon when I cross. It just happens the incident was me getting rear ended by a drunk driver...so it's not like they have anything on me. I was a bit surprised there was any record of anything about the whole deal. Must have been a pretty vague entry into the database.

Rene

7. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Oh no I'm not tryin to sound hard on them at all, I wish the US would grow some balls on certain topic. Canada has obviously made DUI's something they wont tolerate, its understandable. Cant say I blame them. Mine was 18 months ago so hopefully they wont beat me to death or strip my truck down. I'll be calling the consulates office tomorrow to get the skinny on this and get whatever paper I need

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I don't really know, though the one time I've stopped someone from Canada, I was able to get returns on the license and the plate, though it did take about 20 friggin minutes.....................

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Life was easier in some ways before computer databases.

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

You mean things like Quebec's French speaking majority driving the whole country to have bi-lingual road signs, but can't be bothered to put up signs in English in their own Province? My grandad grew up on a wheat farm in Sask., but drivng thru Quebec left such a bad taste that he won't visit any of Canada again.

11. tRustyK5

Trust me, the rest of Canada mostly hate and resent the province of Quebec.

Rene

12. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I'll vomit if we have to share spanish road signs here.:mad:

13. tRustyK5

Not sure if you care...but in Quebec they have the 'language police'. It's law that all signs be in French and English (French only is OK, but English only isn't)

It sickens me to see a Mom and Pop business have to spend thousands of dollars doing up new signs...especially when they are in an anglophone dominant area.

I'm sure the Wal Mart in Montreal has a sign saying "Les Mart de Wal" up front...:surepal:

Rene

14. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

AKMudr
    You posting on Brooks board up here under a different name?:D

15. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Dude Odoa this sucks man, I just wanna get back to Anc :dunno:

But yeh I'm on there too....I have been since I lived there but had to pick a new name :D

16. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

How about traveling with someone, and have them do the driving across Canada?

17. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

2 years ago i was going to canada (sask) for a 1 week deer hunt. I paid 995 dollars unrefundable and they wouldnt let me cross the border with a firearm OR drive in the country cause i had a DUI. All for 3 thousandths over the legal limit ( thats .003 over) owell though i guess. Im not about to make a scene at the border.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

We should just stop pretending we like Canada. Think it's a bitch to go there? Try mailing something there. Even that is a PITA.

19. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I'm thinkin about to buy some boggers and make my own ****in road thru lol.

20. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Even if someone else if driving or you are riding with them in their vehicle, you are still not allow. ANYONE with a DUI on there record is deemed inadmissible and cannnot enter without applying for a waiver or temperary permit which can be rejected, and they keep yer $$. I'm not even gonna go through the hassle and waste my $ so **** it, I'm goin to the port todaya nd see if they'll ship my junk or if its too big.