Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Canadian CK5'ers beware!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brian 89KBlazer, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Canadian CK5\'ers beware!!

UPS is NOT the way to ship to Canada for those that didn't know!!! I finally got my Performance Tire & Wheel Spacers last Thursday that were shipped May 21 (so much for the 9 day garantee!![​IMG][​IMG]) The total bill - $371!!! That's $150 US$ for the spacers, $34 US$ for UPS shipping, and $41 Canadian for the UPS Customs Brokerage!! Then there was 15% tax which I expected.

Had a driveshaft come from Tom Woods a few years ago & all I paid was tax. The reason being he sent it via US Post Office which hands it to Canada Post at the border & you pay nothing for customs clearance. Oh well, live & learn. I've had my first & last UPS package & from now on; if a US company won't ship to me via US Post, I don't order from them!!

Just thought I'd let some of the other Canadians here know what a rip off UPS is & how not to get things from the US!!

Brian
    89KBlazer

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: Canadian CK5\'ers beware!!

Time to resort to smuggling across the border! ;)

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Maybe we could hire Rene "trustyk5" as our courier..
    he's seen most of the country.. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    sorry Rene.. couldn't resist that one...

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com>http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

They went after me to pay their brokerage fees once. This is after they delivered the product to me. I said "no way" 'cause I never entered a contractual agreement with them re: brokerage fees, and if they wanted to track anyone down, talk to who shipped it, not me. They were angry, talked about a collection agency, I said go ahead. They eventually went away, it was only $10(Cdn), so it likely wasn't worth their while at all.

Since then, I've used good 'old post office too. Or just get it shipped to a friend's place in Seattle - that's usually the easiest and fastest.

--Rob

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

thats funny!
    brokerage fees? the last us trucking company i worked for charged $14
    do you live close to the border?
    if so get a mail box from a mini storage place on US side and pick up your stuff there. or do a pick up at the closest US UPS depot

6. Brian 89KBlazer

77Chev

I'd love to pick it up in the US but I'm over 2000km (1200 miles) from the nearest US border point so that's kinda out!! Just sucks that I'd heard the horror stories about UPS at customs & now I know they're true!![​IMG][​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i would help you out BUT you is on the east coast and cross canada shipping prices would knock you over. someone on here must be from Ontario area and willing to help a fellow wheeler
    pretty sad they sting you brokerage fees on stuff that is duty free and all they do is list it on the truck manifest.
    i think you should contest the charges as excessive

8. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My first purchase from ORD (sway bar disconnects) got shipped to me here in Richmond BC. About 3 days after they arrived I got an invoice from UPS for 45 flippin dollars. I couldn't believe it. Anyway to make a short story even shorter I never paid it. I got one more invoice then never heard from those weasels again. That was about a year and half ago. The government has got to be kidding if they think they're going the get the GST and especially the PST out of me, on a product bought and sold IN ANOTHER COUNTRY. ANd UPS wanting a brokerage fee....PLEASE!!! Remember when our governments sold us out, it was called NAFTA. Sorry guys and galls I needed to vent.

James

79jimmy@home.com

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

"The total bill - $371!!! That's $150 US$ for the spacers, $34 US$ for UPS shipping, and $41 Canadian for the UPS Customs Brokerage!! Then there was 15% tax which I expected."

(150+34+41) x 1.15 = 258.75

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

10. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

I'm about 45 minutes from the Coburn Gore, ME/Woburn, PQ (by Lac Megantic) Border crossing. If you need a place to ship to, let me know.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

11. Flyinhi86

Flyinhi86 Registered Member

NEVER AGAIN!!!!! LMC Truck total 215.35 US, UPS brokerage 86.49, + don't know how much shipping + US exchange rate.

12. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

$371 is probably with the exchange to Cdn$.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]http://www.gifs.net/animate/odie.gif

13. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Hey Brian, remember when I told you how UPS screwed me with the ORD order? $56.....Rip off eh!!!!!!! I'm going to avoid UPS as much as possible.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]http://www.gifs.net/animate/odie.gif

14. Brian 89KBlazer

Yes Pete

You forgot the $1.55 exchange rate from US$ to Canadian $!![​IMG][​IMG] Thanks Joe!

Yeah Joe, you're one of the horror stories I was referring to earlier. They're a bunch of friggin crooks! The only reason I went that way is because I wanted the spacers that Perf. Tire & Wheel makes & they would only ship Fedex or UPS. UPS was cheaper for shipping so I didn't have a lot of choice!

Regarding cross-Canada shipping, it ain't cheap either! Cost me $275 to get my tires/wheels delivered, $238 to get my axles delivered & $120 to get my suspension delivered. That's all from Ontario to me here in NF.

You folks on the mainland & in the US are so lucky in that regard. You can access so much more than I could ever get here![​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

15. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Just a note to anyone in Canada ordering stickers from me (Lyons Design), I ship via the postal service, person to person, so there are no ridiculous hidden charges.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://lyonsdesign.bigstep.com

16. baldk5

baldk5 Registered Member

thats not the only thing, exchange is a b*tch. hare is the formula i us th figure out how much it'll cost me for parts from the US - double the US cost and add 30%. that hurts when you want to get $$$$$ parts.

17. baldk5

baldk5 Registered Member

oh yea, io forgot to mention that i'm a Bluenoser. if you're ever in the province give a call (902) 895-8611 ask for jason might add that the old lady's father is from NFLD, they hve lived in NS for a long time.

18. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have tried to ship parts to canada a couple of times by UPS. It was a pain! one box sat at the border for 4 weeks before they returned it because there was a invalid phone # on the paperwork!! I use UPS because they have the tracking system. But for canada, I will use the postal service and take the chance.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

19. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

9 day turnaround? I live in Oklahoma and it's been over two weeks and still no spacer's from them. Talked to them yesterday and after a little stammering they were going to be shipped out yesterday afternoon. Ordered mine May 29th, just a little over a week after yours.

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Dude, if ya want to accurately figure exchange multiply the US$ price by 1.55.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>