Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Canadian K5 help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Trailboss_jr, May 11, 2002.

1. Trailboss_jr

Trailboss_jr Registered Member

Any other canuck K5'ers had any luck with Canadian suppliers??? It's frustrating if you don't have a j**p around here. Any links to Canadian suppliers would be awesome.

If not, how is getting parts from the states with exchange, customs, shipping, etc. Sounds like it would add up in a hurry and I want to get my 77 built so I can start wheeling!!!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It depends on what kinda parts you're looking for and how close to the border you live. When you get a chance fill out your profile so we know what part of the country you're at.

There is no duty on auto parts made in the USA, but the exchange rate and shipping do add up. I've found that it is still more cost efective to order online than to find a local supplier. The local suppliers will have to order it, pay for shipping and then add their mark-up before you ever see it.

What type of parts are you looking for?

Rene

3. Trailboss_jr

Trailboss_jr Registered Member

Right on, i wasn't sure about duty with free trade and all but I hear stuff gets tied up in customs a lot. I am close to the U.S. but most of the big aftermarket places seem to be in Cali or other southern states - MEGA SHIPPING!

I'm looking for engine performance parts, body parts (tailgate, cab suports, floor panels) and of course, lift kits and tires.

Thanks

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I live close to the border too. I have a 'shipping' addy just south of the border that I have stuff shipped to. The brokerage fees are what kill the deal most of the time. If you try and have UPS or Fed-Ex ship across the border they add brokerage to the shipping costs as well as all applicable taxes. This really drives up the final cost. If you have it shipped to a border town and drive it through the border yourself all you'll pay is the GST on your purchase. A couple of tips...open the package before you try and cross the border to confirm what's actually in the box. Make sure there is a reciept in the box with the cost of the parts excluding shipping. This is the amount you'll be taxed on.

I'd say engine performance parts you'd do just as well shopping local at any decent speed shop. I've priced out parts online and local for engine stuff and it's as cheap or cheaper to shop local for that.

Body parts and stuff I try used first...we have a 73-91 Chev only wrecking yard here that has a really good selection of parts including good tub's now and then. If you need new try http://www.LMCtruck.com. Some of their stuff is priced pretty reasonably.

Rene