Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

canadian mail orders

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blazer350, Dec 17, 2001.

1. 85blazer350

85blazer350 Registered Member

Just wondering what a good place to order parts in canada or best place to buy them would be.

thanks

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Another Alberta boy, eh?[​IMG] Because of the exchange rate and shipping and customs, most of the time it's cheaper to find alocal source for parts. Mike(Thumper) is in Cold Lake and could probably steer you in the right direction........

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

not likely,
    as everything you buy comes from the states and goes through markups at multiple levels you can buy retail in the US and still come out 40% cheaper.
    for instance the spl55-4x u joints that I just paid $90cdn for go for under $30usd.
    Dont ship UPS though as they charge a minimum of $15 per package brokerage fees. as auto parts are duty free this is a ripoff. find another company that will give you a break on the fees or if, like me, you live 5 miles from the border, have it delivered to the US side of the crossing and clear it yourself. the only fees you have to pay are GST and provincial sales taxes.

4. Can Can

Well, Grande Prairie is hardly 5 miles from the US border, first of all.

Secondly, $30 USD + shipping + customs + taxes + the pain in the ass it is waiting for parts = may as well buy from a local parts store. I can run down to Action Parts and get what I need in 5 minutes. I also get a discount EVERY TIME because I get my parts at Gas Co. prices. If they don't have what I need in stock, they can get it from one of their many suppliers the next day and I don't pay any extra for shipping.

My best advice is to establish a good relationship with a local store and see what they can do for you.....

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Good advice Paul... however, because we are out in the boonies here in Cold Lake, the locals end up boning us regardless of how much they like you. If I need something wierd that they wont stock, I can call the city, get a price, get it shipped here, and on my truck for a certain price... the parts store calls the same place as me, gets thier price, adds thier markup, charges me shipping, and it actually ends up being more. I imagine Grand Prarie is somewhat the same. Many times I have called the US for prices, and I could end up saving big $$ by doing it. The hassle is the problem, waiting for the part... hoping it doesnt get caught in customs, seeing the conversion rate of Can$ to US$, etc makes me end up buyin it down in Edmonton or doing without. I also get a trip once or twice a yr to the US with my work and I save my pennies and parts, and buy them down there and carry them back with me.
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

again customs?
    AUTO PARTS ARE DUTY FREE

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

didnt say duty... I said customs... the packages still have to be inspected, especially lately. If it seems like anything suspicious is inside, it could be held up forever.
    BTW I thought it was only oarts that are made in the US that are duty free?

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thats correct...parts made in the US are duty free. The big screwing happens with 'brokerage fees'.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

9. Can Can

I have an idea.......instead of arguing, why don't you put a little energy into helping our fellow Canuck brother out?[​IMG]

Your solution unfortunatly DOES involve custioms and the waiting game. I was simply trying to offer a possible alternative. I myself don't mind pating a couple extra bucks if it means getting the part right away AND supporting a local business. Maybe that concept is too "small town" for you, but it works for me[​IMG]!!!!

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Secondly, $30 USD + shipping + customs + taxes + the pain in the ass it is waiting for parts = may as well buy from a local parts store.

<hr></blockquote>
    For generic stuff that is regularly stocked I agree. For a lot of stuff we want/need shipping it from the states is the only alternative. Think ORD etc...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

11. Can Can

Yeah, I know, Rene.......That's why I don't have the steering brace already[​IMG]. I was planning to arrange for someone to bring me one when I go to Moab next year. I don't mind the exchange rate, but the shipping is killer!!!!!

12. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

Contact me with what you want,I am in Canada.

chevrules...always has and always will

13. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Hey Jamie

You found the place, eh?? [​IMG]

For those of you that don't know him; let me introduce Jamie Marr of National 4WD in Burlington, Ontario. From my experience; Jamie is a good guy to deal with &amp; knows his Chevy parts being a former (??) Blazer guy himself!! [​IMG]

I've had plenty of experience lately bringing in parts direct from the USA, from Canadian companies ( like Jamie), &amp; even buying through local shops. I think being here in Newfoundland certainly qualifies as "out-in-the-boonies"; much more so than you guys in Alberta!![​IMG] From my experience; there's NO DIFFERENCE!!! I've had a number of orders from places like High Angle Driveline, Rock Stomper, Performance Tire &amp; Wheel, OffRoad Design, &amp; Six States Distributors; even stuff from ColoradoK5.com!! The ONLY way to go is US Post to Canada Post!! I had the wheel spacers come from Perf. Tire &amp; Wheel by UPS (they would not ship USPS) &amp; what a mistake!! Like Rene &amp; others said; there's no duty (or next to none on most all auto parts) yet UPS charged me $41 Canadian plus GST to clear a package in customs!!! That was in addition to the $38 US shipping fee!

The beauty of US Post-Canada Post is that theres NO brokerage fees! You only pay federal tax or GST! In my case; I have to pay 15% tax because NF took the federal HST (Harmonized Sales Tax deal) so we no longer have GST; just a blended federal/provincial tax of 15%!!
    Everything I have had shipped in from the US (except wheel spacers) came US Post &amp; using 4-7 day Air mail. It all arrived within 2 weeks of being shipped!! All you do is drop by your local post office &amp; pick it up at your convenience!

Like I said; I've supported Canadian companies like National 4WD too but shipping gets no cheaper! Trust me; there's really no cheap way to ship 5 - 37" SSR's on 16x10 Wheels! )eh Jamie! [​IMG])

Like was also said; I've bought local but all your doing is putting another mark-up between you &amp; the product! All they do is call the guy you would call (in most cases) &amp; order the part at the same price you do!

Sorry for the long-winded reply but I've had too much experience with this lately &amp; can speak because I've been there!

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

14. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Nice picture Jamie. Couldn't look a little more happy could you? I guess being in the same picture with Craig and Terry will do that to a guy.lol. I definately recommend Jamie and National 4 Wheel Drive for Canadian orders. Give Jamie a call at 1-800-575-7500 or check out the web site <a target="_blank" href=http://www.national4wd.com>www.national4wd.com</a>
    And to think you have the nerve to raz me about being stuck with a furd rental.lol.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>