Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Canadian money orders

Discussion in 'North Region' started by sope, Aug 25, 2006.

1. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Just a warning.
    I sent a Canada Post money to another guy on the sight, south of the border to pay for a used part. His bank wouldn't cash it, treated it like a bounced check and charged him $10. He phoned the 1 800 # on the back and they told him to take it to a US Post Office and this worked out. He told me the lady from Cananda Post told him a lot of American banks won't cash them. So if sending a Canada Post MO tell the person recieving it to take it to a US post office.

JP

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i find a draft is cheaper, they can be bought at any bank, in canadain or us funds and are as good as cash and you can put the persons name on it so only they can cash it. only costs around 5 bucks

3. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Isn't a money order the same as a draft? It cost about 5 bucks and his name was on it. Basically they're both like a guaratied cheque. I figured from Canada Post would be better than from a bank. I don't know if he would have had trouble with one from a bank.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

for all intrensive porposes they are them same, but a draft is different, i think the bank hold the money untill he takes it, i am not sure if that is the way a MO work too, but all i know is that they have a little usa flag on them when in USD and i have never had a problem with them to date

5. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Good to know that you've never had a problem with them. Mabe I'll go that route next time. A MO you buy and pay the post office cash or credit card and I guess it's like a cheque from them. The good thing about the money order is he cashed it right away at the post office. I wish I knew to tell him to take it there. It would have saved some problems.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I use US funds money orders from the bank here (BMO) and haven't had any trouble...

Rene