Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Canadian vacation musings...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryoken, Feb 26, 2005.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i've never been on many long range vacations from Jersey... mostly my Lake George area annual fishing run and free trips to Fla, Texas and Cali when i was a sponsored skater as a teen..

i've been contemplating where i want to go. it may not happen this summer, but hopefully next.. i have this thing about water, lakes, rapids and waterfalls, its one of the few things that just humbles me and makes me introspective... ever since i was about 8 and visited Niagra Falls.. i want to get back one day but thats any easily drivable trip and i may do that in August..

the place i'm really, really curious about is Lake Louise..

maybe Paul or his fellow canucks can give me insight into it... would it be worth flying up for a week trip to Banff? i'm just blown away by pics of it and it really looks like an amazing place.. anyone been there? or will it be boring after a couple days? in my more advanced age, i'm very good at just kicking back and relaxing... ;)

[​IMG]

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

maybe you could learn and explain curling.:D

3. ryoken

hehe, thats funny cuz i was researching the area tonight and saw stuff about golf. so being a golf nut i start checking the courses and tours and such.. well, the one course is called The Canmore Golf and Curling club.. http://www.canmoregolf.net/

i was like wtf!?! :haha:

i actually have watched it briefly here and there and kinda know what its about... don't understand the appeal, but hey whatever floats your boat.. shuffleboard on ice! ;) the broom guys make me laugh... :rolleyes: :rotfl:

i didn't realize how close Paul probably is to this area... hopefully he'll chime in with some insight for me...

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if you go to the falls again let me know i am only 40 min from there. it is nice here, but depends what you want to do.

want to tour one of the best wine reagions in the world (free tasteings)

go to toronto and see a show or something? come here.

want the greatest seanery in the world go see the cans!

what way to you want to kick back? relax or shread?

5. ryoken

definitely interested in a warm weather trip... golf, maybe some mountainbiking. definitely some canoeing or kayaking.. or just lounging by the water with a brew...

not a winter sport guy... tho i'm sure i'd love snowboarding, my knees are way too f*cked up for the falls while learning.. :(

i'm thinking i may do Niagra at the end of August when i'm up at Fish Creek for my annual campingtrip.. skoot out that way for a day or 2...

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

there is also the bruse trail that run from the falls all along the escartmen to two hours drive north of me, lot of cool trails, the otowa river had huge rapids for rafting and kayaking, lot of fishing up here, well thats everywere.

yeah i hear you on the knees caralige drfect messes up the knee cap some how,l guess i am screwed.

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i watched some serious curling wednesday, all girls. some were pretty hot anyway what the heck is up with the person tossing it yelling(no directions that i could hear), just yelling.??????????????????make as much sense as horse shoes.actualy less.:confused: :laugh: :laugh:

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Okay, as requested, I'm chiming in, brother.

Canmore is about 15 minutes east of Banff and about 45 minutes east of Lake Louise. What you've seen on the net is just the tip of the iceberg. Within 1 - 1.5 hours from Banff you'll find the highest paved road in Canada(HWY 40), Takkakaw Falls- the highest waterfall in Canada(depending on who you talk to), the Columbia Icefield, Moraine Lake(whick I personally think puts Lake Louise to shame),The Great Divide...........Man, I could go on and on but to be honest, a week would give you enough time to see the best the area has to offer.

Your best bet is to start with a little internet searching to see what REALLY interests you and take it from there. FWIW, James(jac6695) spent a few days up this way last fall and I got the impression he really enjoyed his stay.

The biggest bonus? Having a beer with me!!!!:D

If you need any more info, don't hesitate to ask, my friend!!!!!

I decided to add a few pics to whet your appetite:

Takkakaw Falls(notice the people in the bottom left of the pic)

[​IMG]

Moraine Lake

[​IMG]

Highwood Pass(just the sign without any scenery)

[​IMG]

A really cool aerial pic of Mt. Assiniboine in the dead of winter

[​IMG]

:cool1: :cool1: :saweet:

9. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Do a trip up there. You will not regret it at all.

10. ryoken

cool, thanks Paul...

i spent a couple hrs looking around tonight and it does look impressive.. i had noticed Moraine Lake looked pretty badass...

now i just need to convince my better half that we need to go up there to have a beer with ya! :D i'm gonna e-mail her those pics to get her motivated.....

whats the best warm weather months up that way, late summer?

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah screw niagra go there i love it out west it is so awsome.

the falls look cool paul, the shot makes them look like they curve to the right

12. Can Can

Despite what you may have heard, our weather is a lot like yours, except that winter lasts a little longer and gets a little colder than where you're at. Our best temps are found from about July 15th to the end of August. You can expect temperatures to hit at least 75' most days, with nights dropping down to around 40'. Realize that I have seen snow on the ground EVERY MONTH OF THE YEAR, so come prepared for a blast of winter anytime.

To be honest, I prefer fall around here. The crowds are gone, the larches are turning yellow, and the air just seems cleaner. It's hard to explain.......

13. ryoken

understood.. ;) i kinda noticed the same when we go to upper NY.. we used to go in August, then we started going about a month later, the first week in Sept, after the pre-labor day crowd has left.. what a difference.. :D

thats probably when i would come up, the first or second week in sept..

14. Kim Can

Kim Can 1/2 ton status

I figured I would chime in as well (oh oh, Paul and I are tag teaming)... I wanted to post this pic of moraine that we took this fall. The lake is like nothing you've ever seen!

[​IMG]

And of course you could have a good Canadian beer on us!

15. Can Can

Hey, quit moving in on my territory, woman!!!!!:mad: :D

16. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

And have some authentic Canadian food, oh wait, there really isn't any.:ignore: :whistle:

17. Kim Can

Kim Can 1/2 ton status

Hey James, that would be like us coming down to have some American food :grin: . I guess we could've had Canadian Back Bacon while you were here :laugh:

18. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

What is it that gives the lakes that color?

19. Can Can

Here's another pic showing how awesome the color is:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure of the exact scientific description, but basically the runoff into the lake is filled with "glacial flour", which is essentially powdered rock created by the constant erosion from the movement of the glacier against the mountains. It gets suspended in the water and when the sun hits it, it gives off the blue look.

Or something like that..........:crazy:

20. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Wow.

Wow!

WOW!

Unbelievable scenery! There's another place I want to go play tourist someday...