Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Canadians look here

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CustomChevy, Nov 20, 2005.

1. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Where do you guys order parts in canada. I'm specificly talking about the big things that would kill you to ship from the us (crates, axles, etc)

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's not so much the shipping that kills you, it's brokerage fees. For large stuff I try and find private deals here in Canada and go pick it up in person. Anything else I try and get shipped by USPS/Canada post. No brokerage fees that way, just the tax on the value of goods.

I have used a shipping address in a nearby border town (Blaine WA) with good success, however Canada Customs are real ball busters if you don't have all the i's dotted and t's crossed. Free trade my ass...you won't pay duty but they'll make you pay double in aggravation.

There are 4x4 shops up here that carry a lot of the kinds of things we buy, however I find they really jack the prices up well beyond what I'd consider reasonable. When I bought my Swampers they were literally double the US $ magazine price.

Rene

3. BlazerGirl

BlazerGirl Newbie

I buy from Chevyduty.com and with shipping so far its been cheaper than buying here. Like Rene said ... get it shipped to a PO Box place close to your border

4. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Ya we really suck for ordering parts. It is more for me, Newfoundland had to be an island. The prices I find around here are jacked way up aswell.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Part of our problem is we have so much less sales volume up here (a function of lower population :rolleyes: )

It depends a lot on what you want/need. NWF and OTT Industries are Canadian. So is Cross-Canada (mostly sheet metal body parts)

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Yeah it helps to have the stuff shipped by the postal companies. It saved me cash over having ups deliver, although it took a lot longer to arrive and there was no way to track it. I ordered my rear locker and steering brace from ord and paid $120 in fees when it arrived. Then the next order was new gearsets front and rear with overhaul kits plus a front locker and a heavy duty tie rod. A much heavier shipment which only cost $160. The first was through ups and the second was through us post. I guess it just depends on how quick you need your parts.

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

The good news is we have WAY less competition when it comes to parts trucks and D60's sitting in the field! :D The bad news is everything is rusted to hell. :mad:

Anyone in the Golden Horseshoe area that needs parts feel free to PM. I've got a great lead on good deals!

8. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

So very true, a parts truck around here is completely melted out metal with a few salvagable parts like axles which are still covered in rust. But like you said they are easier to come by.

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

So let me guess, north of the border, if I find a clean K5, more than likely somebody's went through the trouble of putting aftermarket reproduction sheetmetal on it. Am I right?

10. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Yes , or it came up from down South before hand.

11. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

try some local parts stores they might be able to order u somethin or be able to tell u were to go

Jason

"keep on truckin"

12. natehate

natehate Registered Member

dealer ships and parts source and other parts store can get you crate motors
    and obviously any speed shop

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

or someone actualy took care of it from the start, and had it sprayed every year.

but there few and far between

14. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

my nieghbour bought a 76 mgb and the previous owner sprayed the bottom of the car with oil and drove it down a dusty road twice a year the floors are solid but the rockers and fenders and some parts are rust out badly

first time i ever heard of spraying oil up underneath a car to pretect it from rust i figured it would remove the paint off it

and i also heard tell if u have a small electrical current ruining trhough ur body it prevents it form rusting or slows it down

Jason

"keep on truckin"

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

lol, run dc thru it it would rust more, (thanks mythbusters :surepal: )

when oil, of what ever kind hydrolic to used moter oil, i sprayed it must be done clean and dry it will displace the mosture, from getting in the knoks and crannys and bringing the salt with it.

many companys garanty NO rust for your life if you bring the car back once a year, from new.

as for shipping, i look local, make friends who can keep an eye out, and ship to my wifes aunt in detroit, and pick it up my self :D