Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Canback Question?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by roostr3269, Aug 13, 2002.

1. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I am coming close to needing a soft top for the Jimmy, and still cant get my mind off the can back top. Does anyone think its possible and affordable to buy the canback top for a newer style blazer and do some fabricatin to make it work on a first generation? I know you would have to either sew more canvas on to make it big enough or buy a whole new piece, Not to mention adding to the frame, but I thinks I might just try this. What does everyone else think about this? Thanx in advance.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Preety pricy product to be hackin up like that?
    I think the route I will take is using a local boat/tarp/canvas repair shop to custom make one for me.
    I took my Kayline top to them for repair and asked if they could use it for a template and he said it would be eaisier to start from scratch and fit is to my K5 as they make it.
    If I ever do this I will be sure to share with you all...
    Good luck

3. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Thanx Burt, your probaly right, just gettin a little antsy with the Jimmy. I had the top off for the first time the last couple of weeks, and I'm convinced thats the only way to go......TOPLESS, Its awesome!!

4. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I still wish I'd get off my butt and put together a group purchase system so we could register our desire to have CanBack (or anyone) build one for us.

There has to be a break point where enough of us 1st Gens will get what we want and they will see enough of a market to make business sense.

I very much prefer can-backs basic design, based on what I see in their truck bed tops but I dont care who makes it. The basic things I'd like to see are a rigid frame, rollup sides, tough/trail friendly fabric, and roof rack possibilities. Can-back seems to have done all of this in their rumored 1st Gen one-offs. If we can get pictures or other info about these prototypes/one-offs it might help us decide quickly if we are in or out of a group buy, and lets can-back better estimate the cost, since they have built it before. Going to a totally custom boat shop or even kayline/speciality or someone who doesnt build a trail tough top could get complicated in trying to decide what we all want. The canback possibility seems to make that issue a bit easier, since both sides have the one-offs to refer to.

I have no idea if the magic number is 5 or 50 or 500 people in a group buy. It all depends on the builder's economics and how agreeable we'll all be in getting our expectations and requirements in synch.

I figure we need something like a petition/survey, from all those of us "potentially" interested in a canback top for 1st Gens.

To convince a manufacturer to make one for us we need to be able to tell them things like,
    1) how much are you willing to pay,
    2) how long are you willing to wait for enough people to come in on the deal + time to produce,
    etc.

The hard part is going to be agreeing on what we expect to get. The tough questions on what we last knew about the canback possibility were
    1) is a fixed frame (vs. one that folds down easily) acceptable,
    2) does the possibility of having to freight ship the unit rule it out for you,
    3) do we have to see it in person to decide, or are drawings and/or pictures of designs acceptable?

What other big design issue do we have?

Once we basically agree on what we'd be getting, there should probably be other survey questions for things like 4) preferred color, 5) removable windows & screens, 5) roof rack opening/hardware,
    etc.

What other questions do we need to ask?

Is there anyone else that wants to help put something to track a group purchase together?

If I hear back from 10 people that are interested in a canback style design, want a roof rack option, and tough fabric, I'll think seriouly about putting togther a quick and dirty survey system that will let us keep track of the design options, price sensitivity, etc. until we can get enough people to agree and shop it around to canback and maybe others.

More back story on this saga can be found here http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=firstgen&Number=261395&Forum=firstgen&Words=can%20back&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=261395&Search=true#Post261395

5. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

I am interested in at least one, maybe two, soft tops. I would accept fixed frame if the stock bed holes could be utilized, and no drilling required on the windshield frame. Roof rack option interesting, but not a deal breaker for me, although I would have one if available. I like the CanBack stuff because it looks durable as compared to my Kayline. Zipper windows and back a great idea, but as long as the straps holding roll-ups are not elastic (a la Kayline) which stretch and look like hell almost immediately, fine enough. We at the moment have no heavy-duty quality option, IMO. Will also consider Bestop if it becomes a reality. Prefer Canback....