Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Canback soft tops for our Blazers!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BobK, May 29, 2001.

1. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I e-mailed Can-back asking if they have a soft top for our trucks.Here is their e-mail to me.

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 12:27:27 PDT [Show full headers]
    From: "charley" <info@can-back.com> [Add to Address Book]
    To: "Bob.Knight" <blazbk@excite.com>
    Subject: Re: soft top

Bob; Thanks for the interest and the inquiry. Yes, we know there's a rumor
    floating around about that. Actually, please email back the same question in
    weeks and we should have a pretty good answer for you. sincerely, Dick
    Lamont.

Bob.Knight wrote:

> Do you make a full soft top for the 69-72 Chevy Blazer>I heard that you may
    > be developeing one.Is this true?I'd be very interested if you
    > are.Thanks.Bob.Knight

So there you go,there's hope yet for a quality top for ou 1st gen's!!

[image]http://www.animatedgif.net/flags/flagscan/canada2_2_e0.gif[/image]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

2. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

Thanks for letting us know Bob. Just curious, is the soft top made by Best Top considered bad quality?
    Jeff

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

I think the quality is fine.It's just that it's not as good as the canvas Can-back tops.The Can-back top will prob. run twice as much as a Best top.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

4. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

As a BestTop owner for more than 8 years on a '71 Blazer, I have to say that there is fundamentally nothing wrong with their quaility, I just think their design is a bit outdated. The things I dont like about the BestTop are:

1) Flimsy aluminium bed rails which get tweaked and twisted, especially at the b-pillar connection that makes up the window frame. Flimsy hoops which produce lots of squeeking and groaning on the highway and when swaying in off camber motion.

2) Thin vinyl material which expands and contracts too much with temperature variations. When its cold, it a pain to try to snap the rear window closed, when hot theres a lot of flapping around on the highyway.

3) Cheap zippers on rear window which have worn out over time with what I consider moderate use.

4) Elastic straps to hold window and sides in rolled-up position wear out over time and lose their ability to hold the rolled up vinyl firmly.

I too would jump on a Can-back top, if they mad one for 1st gens. Barring that, I'll just keep repairing my BestTop and maybe someday will take the Blazer to a boat shop to have a custom top made.

I think we should get a list together of who would be interested in a Can-Back to 1st gen and send the list to them to hopefully influence their decision? Maybe we can even get a group purchase together.

Matthew Meyer
    matthewm@inhollywood.com
    '71 K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

I'd be up for a group purachase.There was a guy trying to do that with the Kayline Fastrac before they went under.I'm sure Steve(the guy who owns this site)would be able to help out since he is now a distributor for Can-bac.

I have nothing against Bestop as I've never owned one of their products but I have seen thier tops on jeeps and wasn't all that impressed with the quality of the vinyl top and the sturdiness of the framing system.This is just my opinion.I'm sure it's a great product for it's price.

If your interested send me an e-mail.I'l e-mail Can-bac in a few weeks to see if any progress has been made with the development of a soft top for our 1st gen's.If thing's come together I'll foreward the list to Steve and we'll all go from there! Send your e-mail address here: <font color=red>blazbk@excite.com<font color=red>

Thanks Bob.Knight

6. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Count me in on a group purchase if they are similar to the fastrac. I'm not too hip on snaps and I like the look of the more square back rather than the rake look. I've been wanting a soft-top for a while.

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I'm of the same thinking as Travis. I like a slight rake to the rear window, but not as much as the original Kayline and the BesTop have, and I don't like the snaps one bit.

8. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

Is there a website where I can see this top. I'm familiar to the Bestop and Kayline, but not the Canback

Thanks
    Chris

9. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

There is a review of them on this website, or you can go to their web site at www.can-back.com

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have had a Kayline top sence 94 and it has had many snaps bust out, wich is easy to repair with a snap kit, one zipper no longer zipps, one rip/tear happend right above the rear window were the stich is. I repaired that with sewing and covering the stich with GOOP. The windows are foggy/white too. But all in all it has been a great top and keep the rain out of my rig. To keep the Hwy flapping noise to a minimum I installed two footman loops onto the inside of my tailgate and then used 1" wide sinch straps to keep the top of the top nice and tight so the wind doesn't push the center of the top down and keeps the flapin to a bare minimum.

I too would be VERY interested in getting another soft top that would last 10+yrs. I don't plan on putting my hard top on ever again......

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I need a soft top bad (it is gitting hot and I burn easy). I will never put on my hard top again. Maby I should sell the hard top to rase money for a soft top (plus more room in the back yard where it sits). Maby I should go into Can-Back (about a 30min. drive) and ask if they need a 71 to "test fit" on. If not I would like to try to get it without the frame and make a cage that would support the top. Hummmm...too many Ideas not enough ca$h!

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

12. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Hey everyone,Steve(CK5 administrator) says they have a Blazer onsite that they are useing to develope and test fit their new top.Can-bac didn't really confirm the fact they are making one but they didn't deny it either and the fact Can-bac told me to ask again in a few weeks is encouraging! I'll add everyone who replys to this post and/or e-mails me directly to the list.I'll keep everyone informed of any new info. I get from Can-bac.
    Thanks,Bob.

13. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Well.......since your making a list you can put me on it. Thanks for taking this on for all of us. My email is kvanhorn@egraph.com or you can use the one in my profile. Thanks again.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

14. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Going by the prices on their website for other trucks, I'm guessing these things will run about $1000 - $1200. I think I'll find the local blood and plasma center and start selling my fluids now. But hell, their other tops are built so tuff they can even hold a roof rack. Man I can't wait. It's getting hot here in FL but it rain too much to take the top off right now. I'd love to just be able to roll the sides up.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.can-back.com/site/products/prodMFrame.htm>http://www.can-back.com/site/products/prodMFrame.htm</A>

15. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

ttt

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/picture/p8947726813026de684f60e0bd6f3fbfe/fe8f5839.jpg>http://www.zing.com/picture/p8947726813026de684f60e0bd6f3fbfe/fe8f5839.jpg</A>

16. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

I might be interested in a soft top for my rig.
    I asked a local 4x4 store what they wanted for a bestop and was quoted about 7 bills! And you can get 'em in any color you want if you only want Black. That's not a good color for the high desert in the high summer -- unless I learned to bake bread in the cab, maybe... White, off-white, khaki or light blue would be more suitable for hot climate operations.
    A load-bearing tubular frame structure would be a plus.

17. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

From what I understand Can-Back is working on a 72 currently, I hope that they find it feasable to produce, that would be sweet. In case you haven't heard, CK5 has become a dealer for Can-Back and can get you a little better prices than Can-Back itself, and yes I can work something out as far as a group purchase goes if in deed Can-Back starts makeing the first gen tops.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

That would be sweet to get a canvis top that would last the test of time!!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

19. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Boy, oh boy! If the top is a no-drill, I'll be interested to say: "Bye-bye hard top."

20. wrath

wrath 1/2 ton status

If you would like to add me to the list go ahead...my 72 is currently a far cry from bein done but it sounds like these tops might become extinct..

72K5 "PROJECT 40" BOGGERS (currently frame off)
    86K5 454ci., 350/205,3/4ton 4.10s,4''susp.3"body,38.5 swamper sx