Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CanCan better watch his ass up there....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Jun 7, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Biker killed by grizzly bear

Canadian Press
    Jun. 6, 2005 10:55 AM

CANMORE, Alta. - Isabelle Dube, a well-known competitive mountain biker, was killed on the weekend by a grizzly bear that had been relocated just eight days earlier for threatening humans.

Dube was running with two friends Sunday afternoon on a popular hiking trail in Canmore, 90 kilometres west of Calgary, when the bear attacked. Her companions ran for help to the nearby SilverTip Golf Course and were not harmed, said Cpl. Brad Freer of the Canmore RCMP.

Fish and wildlife officers later shot and killed the grizzly. advertisement

Donna Babchishin, a spokeswoman for Alberta Sustainable Resource Development, confirmed the bear was the same 90-kilogram, four-year-old grizzly removed from the upper Cougar Creek area, a residential area east of SilverTip, just over a week ago.

The grizzly had been wandering from Harvey Heights, west of Canmore, through the SilverTip Golf Course and into upper Cougar Creek where it was trapped May 27.

The bear was relocated after approaching Canmore resident Niki Davison, who was photographing wildflowers. It was tranquillized, fitted with a radio collar and flown the following day by helicopter to the Carrot Creek area, a short distance inside the east boundary of Banff National Park.

Babchishin said bears that have no previous aggressive behaviour are commonly relocated within their home range.

The bear was being monitored and had not moved from Carrot Creek until it moved into the SilverTip area about 1 p.m. Sunday, she said.

Cameron Baty, one of three mountain bikers who came upon the scene shortly after the bear attack, said the grizzly approached him and his companions from over a fallen log but did not attack.

"It behaved like it was guarding a kill," Baty said.

"I don't know the history of this bear, but if the bear was thought to pose a threat to the community, it should have been shot. I've been around bears most of my life, and in my opinion if a bear is scared away and comes back, you need to shoot it or something like this happens."

Canmore Mayor Ron Casey called it "a sad day" and said the attack will intensify debate around development in Canmore.

In recent years, environmentalists have fought for wildlife corridors on the outskirts of the community of 13,000, where resort golf courses and million-dollar mountain chalets have expanded into what was once prime wildlife habitat.

"If we want to try to cohabitate with wildlife, as sad as these occurrences are, they are also a fact of where we live," Casey said.

Baty said Canmore's strong environmental lobby has made it more difficult for recreational trail users.

"The view in town is that bears have more rights than we do. As humans, we have a right to live here as well."

Dube, a mother in her 30s, was the first person killed by a bear in Alberta since 1998. The attack was reminiscent of one that killed Mary Beth Miller, a 24-year-old biathlete, while she was on a training in Quebec in 2000.

Since 1992, there have been two deaths and 23 maulings by bears in Alberta.

Maybe if you're lucky KimCan can throw a high kick on that bastard to protect you. :p:

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

That's not right :(

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

PhoenixZorn called it 6-2-05!

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Heard about this on the Bob & Tom show this morning. It's a tragedy admittedly, but did the lady really think that bears couldn't climb?

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The bear jumped out of the bush about 20 feet from her and charged. She was right beside a tree and instinctively tried to climb it. Apparently she got about 5 feet up before the bear dragged her down.

Translation- she didn't stand a chance.

FWIW, climbing a tree is a valid option to escape a grizzly bear. They aren't climbers. Many people have avoided atttacks by scaling trees. Predatory black bears will climb up after you, however.

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I see, the version that made it to the local press was much different, didn't mean to be offensive. Plus I'm used to black bears in northern MN that can and have climbed trees after bear hunters.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I was going to say something, but then I remembered it was Canada

That's too bad