Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't afford to fix or drive my trucks... i'm depressed!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by eclipse, Dec 4, 2006.

1. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I'm starting to believe my wife and I bought a house that was too much for our budget, plus we got her student loans at the same time.

Before we bought the house when we lived in an apartment we had a 2001 Tacoma we had bought when she was still attending college. We sold it to get out of payments before we bought the house. In place of it I found the 89 suburban which I like. But it has needed a few things, just did the water pump and before that I did the 700r4, and now need to change a seal in the 208.

But I think the problem is that when we bought the house I was working 10 hour days, plenty of overtime. Well I'm an equipment operator in the northwest and I'm lucky to not to get laid off, but my hours have been cut to 8 and no overtime. Our budget is so tight we have been commuting with the burb to save on gas.

Currently its hard to just fill the tank on burb. I drive my 85 k10 maybe once a week. It needs a page full of things fixed including the gears match. I've been trying to sell a 4bolt 350 I have to buy a set of 3/4tons with matchin gears so I can get my 4wd back. But I haven't had much luck and winter might be over before i get that done.

Today has just been depressing, because I just sold my 77 k20 a few months ago to fix the burb and selling my 85 has crossed my mind since I can afford to fill the tank or fix it. I just dont know if I can live with out a truck to drive. I hate cars, atleast in my opinion the burb counts as a truck to me.

ok... i'm done rambling!!! :o:confused:

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

eh, I feel ya.. sucks sometimes

Had to cancel my big x-mas fab project... I've got a good bonus coming in, but it'll be a little late for that, and I really should just get caught up on bills..

On a somewhat brightside, i'm gonna pick up a 4 cyl buzzbox in the spring so I can take the K5 off the road after 4 yrs and actually get some projects done to it... lots of ot than too, so I should have the cash...

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

oof. now you have me depressed. my wife just graduated from grad school. we are looking at houses now and we know our mortgage will be anywhere from 2000-2500.00. her school loans just for grad school are 500 a month for 30 years. its gonna be real tight, and i know buying things for the k5 is now going to have be a budget thing. i just hope we will be able to swing the payments no problem

good luck man

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

You ever thought about doing side work? Or possibly changing to a different company.

5. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I went thru the same thing. I went back to school and got a "real" job after being a subcontractor for 10 years. I had owned a new truck and had a huge house payment. We wound up filing chapter 7 last year. Now, we are starting to get back on our feet. We own every vehicle that we have free and clear. I love not having to make car payments. Upkeep has been more affordable.

6. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

"Upkeep has been more affordable."

yeah true thats my theory, yet at times it can be frustrating.

I"ve been thinking about a different job for 6 months, not sure what I want to do. Ive been with the company for 4 years. Good company and its a decent wage for this area. but I'm not good at finding new jobs and change is always a challange for me.

7. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

#1 Vehicle expense is depreciation. If you've got the time and ability, used vehicles that you upkeep are much easier on the pocketbook. Yeah and student loans suck. We'll have mine paid off in 2 years and my wife's in 3. It's about like having an extra house payment.

Does hot coffee still taste good on a cold morning? How about a cold beer on a hot afternoon? If it does, then just keep pluggin, it'll get better.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I know you said you hate cars but you may have to come down to reality.
    Your Sub is a gas guzzling 4x4. Do you really need it to commute to work?
    To go to the Mall? Shopping? and all the other daily driving you have to do?
    Think about it.
    If cash is a problem now. What are you going to do when fuel goes up again? I would strongly recomend you get rid of a major cash drain. Sell your Sub and get a good running econo box for a while. You can always buy another gas sucking vehicle with sky high operating costs when you have more cash. Suburbans are a dime a dozen and can be replaced easily.
    Cars aint so bad to drive. They are a lot cheaper, better, and easier to get around in. I drive my car or my wifes car way more than my 4x4. My 4x4 is for fun. Even tho I can easily afford to drive it every day, I really only use it for a DD in the winter when the roads are bad. I have better things to do with my money than pour it in my gas tank just so I can drive around in a truck.
    I have owned many many trucks of all brands and types, and love to drive them but I have never regretted the day I sold any of them. They cost a lot more to drive than a car and are money pits that sometimes get to be too deep to fill.
    Aint no shame in driving an economy car and saving a lot of money every month. You might even find you have a little $pare change and time for your 85.

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

you will get past it bro.PLEASE don't take it out on each other though.you are working together for your future.if the 85 isn't costing you anything,let it sit.don't get rid of the toys,"trust me".i went through 4 years of financial hell,(new truck,a baby,my wife not working and going from 62 hours a week to 40 all at the same time.)but we made it. you'll be fine bro.

10. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hang in there man, times get tough for everyone occasionaly. Just keep your head up, and keep the love flowing in the family and yall will be OK.

11. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

well I talked with a buddy who works production for a hockey game and they are looking for camera operators. I might be doing that and that might make up for the overtime I'm losing though the winter.

If I keep running equipment, having a 4x4 truck or sub is handy. I'd be pulling myself out everyday at my pit with a car. Plus hauling around my tools such as grease, grease guns and etc. The sub would be last on the list to get rid of. It is so handy up here in the northwest for 4 months out of the year. And I use it for more home projects and hauling around the in-laws.

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Do you get an allowance from your job for the use of your vehicle? We get an allowance for our trucks at work or the use of a company truck. I use a company truck because I don't want to have grease and stuff in my truck nor the miles.

13. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I rather use my truck than have them let me use a company truck which would mostly like be a DODGE!

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Thats besides the point. Do you get compensated for it?

15. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

nope, our office/shop is about a mile from my pit, some times I skip going over there and just go straight to my pit

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Thats understandable....