Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cant believe I bought a CB !!

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 88Silverado, Jul 8, 2003.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I NEVER thought I would buy a CB /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    I feel like a Blazer guy buying a Bronco...
    A vegitarian buying a steak....
    A cowboy going into a disco...
    A

Buuuuuut...when I installed my old and trusty Johnson Messenger 123A in my Blazer last week (for trail use only) I discovered the ol radio only had 1W output. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I just happened to come across a Cobra 18WXST new in the box for $35 for bought it.
    Looks kinda nice and the Weather channels are a safety addition (ahhh ahhh ahhhbullsh!t) but with the front mounted speaked it looks like it will slide nicely between the side of the drivers seat and console.

Pleeeeeeeze dont tell my Ham buddies. I'll never hear the end of it hi. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Don't look at as a "CB" look at it as just one more radio to play with. Radios are always good...no matter what band they are for. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't look at as a "CB" look at it as just one more radio to play with. Radios are always good...no matter what band they are for.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

BTW I dont have a clue if the 18wxst is any good.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If it's the one I'm thinking it is, it's fine for trails. But basicly a throw away radio if something go's bad. Cheaper to replace then repair.

5. 88Silverado

Considering I bought it for $35 new, its pretty disposable /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Just got the 2 Meter antenna and radio installed too.
    Really thinking I need a GPS now /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Don't look at as a "CB" look at it as just one more radio to play with. Radios are always good...no matter what band they are for.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

BTW I dont have a clue if the 18wxst is any good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm running one. Been pretty happy with it. Like the front facing speaker. Didn't need to mount a AUX speaker. I bought it mainily because of the weather stuff. It's been helpfull a couple times when we had some weather roll in on us. My Burb has a cheap Realistic CB in it that works fine but I'll proably pick up another 18 with the weather. Only thing I don't like is you cannot hook a PA to this model. My Club works with DEMA and the PA might be nice to have if they have us help with lost person.

7. 88Silverado

Great...thanks for info.

Well I just bought a Garmin GPS-12 for $70.
    Should be set for the trails.

I got lost once several years ago in the sierras while wheelin. Took two wrong forks in the road and wound up stuck on the side of a hill with almost no gas, no food and nightfall. Never do that again.

8. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

A GPS receiver can be a wonderful thing.... especially when you are in unfamiliar territory. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif