Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cant believe it

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-bad-burb, Apr 28, 2006.

1. 1-bad-burb

1-bad-burb Registered Member

well I got my truck fixed after its sat for about 5 months because of a bad injector pump, ran great, everything was fine, finally all the headache and worry was over, and now today I'm driving and all of a sudden BANG! clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack, something broke, something big in the engine, I think it threw a rod, it didnt go threw the block or hte head but I'm 90% sure it was a rod or the crank, crazy thing is it still starts right up even with something majorly F-ed up. first the pump goes out on the burb, and I got a free 87 caddilac sedan deville, then the deville brakes down about 3 months later (timing chain broke) then I get the suburban fixed again and now its broke again, this time I cannot get it fixed, and I'm forced to get wat I can out of it (already have the lift sold) and buy a cheap small car for a DD. I dont know of anybody that has as many car problems as I have, hopefully whatever i find next will last a while without needing any major repairs:(

I think I'm a pretty good person, but I've been punished alot. this isnt the only problem I have, I've got plenty more, but i dont want to waste your alls time and I dont want to talk about any of that. sometimes being 17 sucks, and from what I've seen being older isnt much better, if any better at all, if this is all there is, whats the point?:(

2. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

maybe you should ride a bike for a while

3. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

i know how it goes, it happens all the time these days, aint one thing then its another, over and over,

i get fed up sometimes over it and start scrapping it all

it gets old

good luck

4. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

well don't get too bummed out. just don't get used to being the victim. just keep being a good dude and eventually it'll pay off. if nothing else you'll know your a good guy. as far as vehicles go they all suck. good luck with your next car

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

That worked for me through several of my college years. Parking by the front door was better than scouring the lots for a parking space too, and it got me into phenomenal cardiac condition, able to run up 10 flights of stairs without wheezing. But enough about me; let's talk about someone else:

One of my friend's sons, age 15, is already fairly anti-ricer understandably wants a K5 or shortbed FS 4x4 of his own to drive when he turns 16. Mall-crawler or wheeler, I have no idea, probably more of the former. My friend attempts to discourage it, since a full-size 4x4 is not the most inexpensive sort of ride to operate and maintain, and it would probably have his son's thin wallet beat to death on a regular basis.

Even if nothing breaks, they wear out parts normally at a pretty good rate (tires, brakes, shocks, steering parts, and so forth. Then there's the fuel (which troubles me not, but I'm not a high school kid with a small paycheck), and he'd be dumping most of those small paychecks in the fuel tank. I sometimes mention the price of parts and that sort of thing when he's within earshot. Loaded calipers, tie rod ends, just tanked up for 77 bucks, and so forth.

I suppose the insurance would be relatively cheap compared to a Camaro, Corvette, or something like that, if a 16 year old's insurance premiums could ever be called cheap.

His folks would probably help him out with a mechanically sound little econobox similar to his mom's rock-solid '90 Camry for basic transportation (they would wisely have him pay for part of it, to encourage a feeling of true ownership), but if he wanted something like a FS 4x4 or a sporty car, he'd be on his own. He's definitely college-bound (great math grades, talks about being a mechanical engineer), so it'll be the better part of a decade before he has a normal or better than normal full-time income.

6. crazyhole812

yep what he said just be patient:waytogo:

7. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Don't worry about it...
    I had two transmissions (K5 and van) pop on me and the motor in my mustang got antifreeze in the oil within days of each other
    It happens sometimes and you just work though it
    Right now I am still relying on the GF car to get around until the mustang motor is replaced (soon I hope)

8. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

You are focusing on the bad things that happen, as most people do. As hard as it seems there are many good things that happen in ones life that we all take for granted and do not think about. Focus on the good things and in time it will seem like good things Will happen more often. Even though you seem to be having bad luck, we are having life experiences that can only add to your knowledge. I know this sounds really sappy, what can I say it works for me, my life sucked until the last five years and I forced myself somehow to change things for the better, and it seems to be working. Life is hard, the strong succeed, and the weak sit on their a$$ collecting my tax money.
    (I knew those Psychology classes would pay off someday)

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If it makes you feel any better -- I traded a very reliable, strong 74 3/4 ton for a 89 chevy halfton to make my parents happy -- They were always raggin on how unreliable my older trucks are (truth is, neither my 74, nor my 80 prior to the 74 once broke down on me, I always broke them, lol) so I figured it'd get them off my back.

That truck turned out to be the most unreliable peice of junk ever. In less than a year I blew 2 engines and 3 transmissions... Trust me, when you do all the work yourself, that gets old real quick, lol

Infact, I bought myself a 77, and the 89 is still sitting beside the shop, waiting on a new engine, and have never once had a problem with my 77, lol

Basic jist of the story -- When you own these older vehicles, you can either get a lemon, like my 89, or get a great running reliable rig like my 74, 77 or 80 :) You just have to be prepared to fix something if it breaks. Yeah, sometimes it takes a few months to pay for stuff, but thats just how life it as a teen with no money!

Whoever mentioned that these trucks break the bank, he isn't joking... My 80 has just over 11 000 into it, and it still doesn't run great, or have a nice body / interior, lol

10. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Rule of thumb is: IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT'S NOTHING BUT TROUBLE!!!

11. crazyhole812

Dive On Man

12. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

just relax bro i know the feeling....i`m only 17 too and i have had numerous problems with my rig, one after the other and it gets to really be a PIA...especially with a paycheck barely 200 each week....but i would never give it up....1 because i put too much work in the bitch already and 2 because i like doing it as pissed as i get in the process

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If it still starts up and stuff it could just be injector knock. 6.2's don't usually run that well with a catastrophic failure like a busted crank or thrown rod. Injector knock is pretty loud from what i understand though...

Rene

14. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Your just going through the curve. Right now, your at the bottom and things seem like they can't get worse. Prepare yourelf for the fact that they probably will. I can remember so many times that I was seriously ready to sell my truck or just set the pos on fire and dance around it nekked laughing incessantly until it is a pile of ash. Things will get better brother, trust me. Just yesterday, I was staring out my window looking at my truck and I just started laughing. It was all worth it.... busted knuckles, being broke, riding the bike to work, wrong parts, shiesty vendors..... it's all worth it in the end. That, or i'm insane.

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Turn off the distractions, figure out where you want to be, how to get there, then charge like a pissed Bull. Once you conquer the #$%t, you'll be bigger than the #$%t.

16. camokrawler

camokrawler Registered Member

hey man, i'm 19 and fighting my way through college mostly on my own and living on my own. it tough u know but the harder you work the more toys and badder toys u can have even if they break you just gotta chill out and think about the best way to go about fixing them not just get pissed and get rid of them. been there done that one. btw, my worst time in high school=one morning got up early to go to breakfast with the boys and on the way blew the head gasket in the cherokee i just lifted like two weeks before. so we left it and went to breakfast at 7am and got back to it at 8am and what do u know all my stereo and sub and amp were gone. d@mn That was a bad day.
    camokrawler

17. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

"If your going through hell, keep going..." - Sir Winston Churchill

18. 1-bad-burb

1-bad-burb Registered Member

I'm 99% sure its a rod, it does start, barely, and it shakes like you wouldnt believe, I guess loosing a piston realy throws a motor out of balance.

I've never heard anything about "injector knock" how do you diagnose that?

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd check the oil first. Anything goofy with the oil and it could very well be something ungood. Just seems unlikely that it'd throw a rod out of the blue like that...

If it'll idle try loosening the fuel line fittings one cylinder at a time. At the very least you'll find the dead hole. Any cylinder that is firing the idle will drop and it'll run even rougher until you snug that one up again. I really don't know a ton about injector kncok, but have heard it is pretty loud.

How is the harmonic balancer? Watch what it does while the engine is running. A bad balancer can quickly lead to a busted crank on the 6.2. Rubber hanging out and looking squishy is a good sign the balancer needs replacing. If it runs with a broken crank you should see some pretty weird movement at the balancer.

Rene

20. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

the harmonic balancer with the rubber isolator pulley atached will make a bad knocking sound when it goes bad!! is there any white smoke out the tail pipe?? cracked piston maye??