Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cant bolt up my sway bar need help asap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chvyblzr1977, Jun 8, 2003.

1. chvyblzr1977

chvyblzr1977 Registered Member

Ok heres the deal i have a 77 blazer with the 10 bolt up front it blew so i got a 10 bolt from my friend same style set up as mine now the truck is lifted 6 inches my question is i cant get the bolt holes to line up where you bolt the swaybar to the crossmember any ideas why i got the energy suspension kit for the one and one fourth and bushings go on the sway bar perfect but the brackets wont line up right.it was bolted when i took it off and i dont have the old ones.PLEASE HELP
    Thanks for the input.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

tell ya what... WHAT wont line up? maybe a picture or something showing us how it sits? id imagine with a 6" lift youd be stretching the chance of the bar fitting anyways... if you're talking about the bushings that bolt up behind the bumper... try bolting those on first and then bolting the bar to the axle by jacking the axle up?

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

or just try throwing the sway bar in the back yard, 6 inch springs are pretty stiff, and i bet, that If you do feel a difference without the sway bar, it wont be much and you will get used to it, i got 4 inch front springs, and havent had a sway bar for a long time, i didnt have the sway bar when i had the 8 inch springs either.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

Front swaybar wont line up with a 6" lift. the distance is too far, check out the ORD disconnect kit, it should work for you since it moves the mounting location on the axle up and inch or two.

5. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

take a spin around the block with out the sway bar, i bet you wont miss it. and if you do then get the ORD disconects. i had them for a while and they worked great, then i drove with the sway bar disconected and relized i couldnt tell the difference.

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

had the same issue, the sway bar is a pain in the ass to get it back to mount it, i just loosend the bolts good and nice and then mounted it, other wise when i took one off, big mistake, i had my friends cranking on the u-bolts with a crow bar distoring the U-bolts and u-bolt plate to get the fawker to alighn, took about 1 hour and a half to get it back up right, but it is doable, just very frustrateing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. BiggerIsBetter

BiggerIsBetter Registered Member

<font color="blue">I had the same problem when I installed my lift. Since you are lifting the frame further away from the axle, the sway bar is staying the same length. In order to compinsate for the sway bar that is too short you need to make some brackets to connect the sway bar to the frame. I used 3 inch rectangular tubing to do the job, but I also have 12 inch springs, so you might want to go 2 inch tubing. If I confused you at all I could take some pics. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

They also sell brackets to lower the sway bar so it'll bolt up, but if I were you, I'd get the disconnects.

9. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I got my sway bar to bolt up w/ a 6" lift.... here's how...
    loosen the forward sway bar mounts. Completely remove the u-bolt plate and loosely connect to the sway bar. Reassemble...
    That being said it would be best to get the sway bar QD's from ORD as previously stated...

10. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

If you really want the swaybar just put a 1/2 to 1 inch spacer plate between where the swaybar mounts to the frame and the swaybar. Bolt the swaybar to the axle and then to the frame with some longer grade 8 bolts.

11. chvyblzr1977

chvyblzr1977 Registered Member

thanks ill think ill look into the ord disconnect kit i heard good things about it but for now ill just throw it in the backyard.
    Thanks everyone