Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cant drive till i get this taken care of...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Dec 19, 2001.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would assume you could always put to little in but can you ever put to much oil in a differential? Would it just push out the breather tube?

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 1979Jimmy on 12/19/01 12:04 PM.</FONT></P>

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Re: Is it posible to put to much oil in a diff?

I always fill mine up till it comes out the filler hole. Then hurry up and put the plug back in.

Same way everyone I know does it.

Actually since my rear dif is pointed up a little, I even jack up the rear to get a little more in.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

or park on a hill with the plug on the high side...

90K5

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Yes , it is possible to put to much oil in a diff.
    No, it will not push out the breather tube enough to bring the oil to the proper level .

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

In order to fill it up too much, you would have to be parked at a real extreme angle so that the tubes filled up. Just fill up to the filler hole and then squeese some more in and hurry up and put the plug in.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

6. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I have purposely overfilled the rear axle before, a 14bolt in a Blazer with the pinion angle set for a CV shaft really has some tip to it so I have put alittle extra it thru the vent tube with a rubber hose.If you look at the pinion bearing ht. and plug level you will feel better with having some extra oil in there.
    You may get alittle surprise when you go to check the diff. level a few months later after forgetting you put extra it![​IMG]

RGF

7. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So where is this fill hole. All i can see is the where the diff breather goes in, thats where i was gunna put the oil in.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

9. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok i just tried to get that plug out didnt work to well it was really stuck and didnt want to budge at all would it be possible for me to just put in 2-3 quarts in through the breather tube?

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

10. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

It is possible, but not the best way.
    You do what to do it the best way don't you ?

11. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok i know this may be getting old for you guys but I apreciate your patience. I tried pulling off that bolt and i finally got the ratchet to even turn but it didnt feel like i was making any progrees on the bolt like it was spinning in its place like it wasnt even coming out so i tried to drip the oil into the breather and i realized what you guys were saying it takes forever. Any ideas on what might be going on with that bolt or how i can get it out?

12. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Spray some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench on the threads. Then get whatever fits properly in the plug head (I used a socket extension). Next attach a crappy ratchet to it an hit it with a small sledge hammer.

Be carefull and make sure you have the ratchet set to loosen so you hit it the right way. Also make sure it isn't stripping out the bolt head.

I actually replaced mine with one that has a square head on it that sticks out so any kind of wrench will work without stripping it.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://homepage.mac.com/toddcripps/Menu2.html>homepage</a>

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If you can't get the bolt out, you don't know how much oil is in it or how much to add. Plus 2-3 quarts is too much too add. The whole axle holds less than a gallon. 10-bolts barely hold more than 2 quarts.

You want to get that bolt out sooner or later anyway. I think that you should focus your attention on that. I assume that you are working on the right bolt. It just takes a square 3/8" ratchet end (no socket) and it about 1" in diameter.

But another question to everyone: what happens if you do overfill it? And why can't it be almost completely filled with oil?

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>

14. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok I cant think of anything really that would go wrong if you filled it up with extra oil because when it expands it would just end up going up the breather tube but thats abut all i think would happen.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do you put more oil in the engine than is called for? Why not?
    : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html&gt;www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html&lt;/a&gt;
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by dyeager535 on 12/20/01 02:17 PM.</FONT></P>

16. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You need to get that bolt out. Try some PB nutblaster on it. If that doesn't work, use a torch to heat it up some. I've had to do that before. That bolt is how you check to see if it's got oil in it without having to pop the diff cover. It is also how you make sure you don't over fill it. You've got axle seals and stuff that could start leaking if too much preasure builds up. Also, if you over fill it, it might spray oil thru the hose and on your exhaust, then you've got a nice fire or smoke show. When you get that bolt out, put some tephlon tape on the threads so you don't have to go thru this again.

<font color=blue>What part of my brilliance do you not understand?</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

17. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

If worse comes to worse you could always remove the diff cover, drill a hole in it in proportion to the original filler hole and use an aftermarket rubberplug from Checker or Autozone. But I would say only as an afterthought if the original plug doesn't come out.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

18. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I supose I could do that but thats pretty much a last resort.

19. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

20. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status