Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cant engage 4x4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheSunDanceKid, Aug 7, 2006.

1. TheSunDanceKid

TheSunDanceKid Registered Member

couple weeks ago put the blazer in 4wheel drive and my friend i got the blazer from said if you dont take it out of 4x4 by doing it the right way the vacuums can come un done i took the truck out of 4x4 and back to 2wheel drive but it took alot of messing with i put it in neutral while moving around 4mph and put it into 2x and now it wont go back into 4x4 so im thinking maybe i did it wrong and these "vacuums" came undone so i guess im asking could this be the problem
    or maybe somthing else but the truck did work perfectly in 4x4 and 2x and now 2x is acting strange when i put it in D and overD but everything works fine when i put it in 2D and 1D

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

IIRC, if you have the auto hubs, you have to do something like back up for 10-15 feet to fully disengage 4wd, i`m guessing you didn`t do that?

3. TheSunDanceKid

yes these are auto hubs and no i let it roll in neutral and that got it out yea i found out a few days ago that i had to roll it backards 10-15feet so i tryed puting it in 4x4 and it wouldnt go into 4x4 so i figured perhaps it might still be in 4x4 from the first time so i rolled it backwards 10-15feet but still nothing so im not sure perhaps its still in 4wheel drive or perhaps these vacuums came undone

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

If you are talking about a 73-91 fullsize Blazer, there are no vacuums, cleaner or otherwise, associated with the four-wheel drive.

If you have a newer vehicle, it is possible that the front axle disconnect set up is vacuum driven (or worse, thermal) ... and you should tell us what year Blazer it is, and whether it's the little S-10 type or the big V8-powered variety.

And I think your friend has little more idea than you do what he's talking about :wink1:

-- A

5. TheSunDanceKid

lol yes but hes a drunk and a half lol and its hard to catch him sober and its a 1989 v6 s-10 and the trany has probably around 5k miles on it so i dunno it doesnt sound like that could go bad

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Acha. This board is largely focussed on the large trucks (thus "Fullsize"), so you may get morr answers on an S-specific forum, such as

http://www.s-series.org/

Some of the newer trucks have a thermal engagement thing for the 4WD, which is famous for failing. There are aftermarket kits to replace that thing with a pull cable, among other options.

I am unsure, however, if your truck is so "blessed." It might just be a smaller version of what the fullsizes have ... anyway, an S-specific forum would tell you for sure.

-- A

7. TheSunDanceKid

arg thats not a blazer forum thats a ricer forum...... their whole tallent they can put on an intake and an exuast tip nothing about trannys
    [​IMG]

8. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

SunDance, Bring it to AAMCO on Cave Creek and Cactus, Thats where i work and i can help ya with it.. If you dont feel like taking a trip down there Give me a hollar at 480-209-2949 and ill see what i can do for you.. nate

9. TheSunDanceKid

well i can only drive it in d2 i dont know if i will make it all the way to cactus and cave creek

10. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

sundance, call me and ill talk this over with ya.:wink1: . nate