Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't figure this out out... popping from the front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Vetteman61, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Registered Member

I've developed a popping from the driver side front. I believe it may have started or gotten worse near the time i tested out my 4x4 a couple weeks ago. The noise has gotten worse and it is very loud now when the when I turn the wheels.
    After using a thesescope, we believe it is coming from the lower ball joint or the universal joint type connector on the axle.
    I took the tire off to take the load off of the ball joints and it still makes the noise, but not as bad and I have to turn the wheels lock to lock to get it to pop.
    It's a very loud noise, as though metal against metal is binding and then suddenly pops lose, and it happens in small bursts, such as 3 pops at a time.
    If I turn the wheel right, it may pop 3 times quickly, but will not pop again turning to the right until I turn the wheel back left and make it pop that direction. After that, it will once again pop during a right turn.
    I just put new ball joints in both the passer and driver sides, upper and lower, about a month ago.

2. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

my 82 made a similar noise just a few days ago. the pitman arm and draglink had contacted the spring pack when i made a very hard right. i oculd see the rub mark. i just won't turn as hard until i put my lift springs on. maybe they'll be out of the way.

3. howdiy

howdiy 1/2 ton status

It was happening to my dad. It turned out to be a worn leaf spring bushing.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Is your steering box tight?

5. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well that sounds like a cracked frame to me. I would check around the steering box for cracks.

If you do have cracks, I would suggest you give ORD a call and buy yourself a weld in and bolt in frame brace.

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

to check the ball joints, jack the wheel off the ground, then take hold of the wheel at 6 and 12 oclock and attempt to rotate the wheel up/down, meaning pull out and lift up at 6 while pushing in at 12 and then do the reverse. if you get any movement, you need balljoints replaced. if you can see the knuckle while doing this, you'll be able to see the movement of the balljoint if it's bad. ive been able to look at the knuckle while doing this by sticking my head in the wheelwell over the top of the tire. ofcourse, if you took the tire off it would be easier to see, but the leverage of the tire is helpful.

7. 1bosshog

1bosshog Registered Member

Ha thats odd Im haveing he same problem on my 83 K5. I just replaced my uper and lower ball joints on driver side and wheel bearings both side and now I have that poping noise like sothing binding when I turn my wheel. I no I did it right I tourqed sleeve to 50lbs and then bottom ball joint to 80lbs then top to 100lbs. If you find out the problem please let me no so I can fix mine,lol:mad:

8. colbystephens

did you reinstall your wheel bearing the proper direction? i made the mistake of doing it wrong once... bad move.

9. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Registered Member

set it ablaze(r), that'll fix my problem

I just installed new ball joints, so they have no play in them. It is possible I may have put the bearings in backwards. Would that cuase this problem and no other problems.
    Has anyone else had problems with the axles, or rather the universal joint that connects the axle to the hub, making this noise. I've used a thesescope and narrowed the noise down to coming from either the ball joints or the hub. The noise dissappears as it travels along connecting metal... except the axle housing...which is hollow and would naturally carry sound better.
    I've checked every area I could think. I initnially thought this to be a Ubolt lose, becuase after installing my new rear end and lift (new to me) in the back i had similar noises after a few days, and it turned out to be ubolt nuts working themselves lose, but the front ubolts are as tight as possible.
    I don't understand why the ball joints would make this noise however. There's no way to grease the bottom joint.

On a separate question.. does anyone else have trouble greasing their top ball joints due to clearance. A 90 degree alamite will bit, but binds when the front axles turn... and my stock alamites have about 1/2 centimeter clearance.

10. colbystephens

well, if you put the bearing in backward and have driven it - you'd know. i went a total of about 2 miles that way, and by the end of my drive time the front end was ALL over the place. scary as hell.

11. LIFTEDGMC4X4

LIFTEDGMC4X4 Registered Member

I have the same problem also. I had a loud popping noise also and I found that one of my front leaf spring shackle bolts was busted. I replaced the bolt and that noise is gone but, I still have another popping noise in the front and still havent figured it out.

12. 1bosshog

No Colbystephens im pritty pos that I put them in the right way becouse the berrings can only sit in the race one way and then I tightend the first nut up just tell there was no play. then I put that lock washer on then I tourqed the last nut up to 80 or 85 lbs. This has got me stumped so I went out and bought a Dana 60 that I would have bought anyway selling the 10 bolt if anyone wants it.lol It has 4.88s

13. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Did you ever check your frame around the steering box? I know broke bearings can make popping noises while the wheel spins but I don't think they would without spinning. Does it make the noise in 2wd and 4wd? Worse in 4wd. Maybe you have a cracked u-joint cup- kinda doubt that though. Take the stress off the leaf springs and check all your leaf spring bolts and the top shackle hanger bolts- inspect the bushings. If they are shot that could cause some noise. Let us know what you find.

14. Disturban

Disturban 1/2 ton status

my popping noise was a loose steering box..no frame cracks tho.

15. colbystephens

i wanted that to be my solution too, but the pocketbook wouldn't allow. :doah: what part of washington?

16. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Get a weld in kit.

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the same poping noise only when turning also. My problem is my Spicer hubs want to catch and pop as the gears catch and let go.

18. LIFTEDGMC4X4

LIFTEDGMC4X4 Registered Member

I was under my truck this morning and noticed a crack in the frame at one of the steering gear bolts that I had not noticed before ( may have just happend??) I'm getting the weld in kit.

19. 1bosshog

Iv checked my frame by the box found nothing still stumped Im so mad Im going to just swap this dam dana 60 in LMAO If the sounds still there then I no Its not my front end.lol More like frame or bolt to leaf or something but im pritty shore its something in that 10 bolt Iv took scope and nerrowed it down to arowned top balljoint.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

20. 1bosshog

Im in Vancouver Wa. 98660 I was just going to throw it under my 72 GMC Jimmy unless someone wants to buy the set. 10 bolt / 14 bolt 4.88 posi . They are 3/4.. If you no anyone interested in a 72 Jimmy rolling chassy. On bald 38" TSL SX