Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't find 4-core radiator w/trans and oil coolers for 1990 6.2L Sub

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rich, Aug 3, 2004.

1. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Can\'t find 4-core radiator w/trans and oil coolers for 1990 6.2L Sub

The 1990 1/2 ton 6.2L Suburban I just bought only has a 3-core radiator. I am having some cooling issues, and I know I need a 4-core. BUT - everywhere I have called has told me they only have a 3-core that is like mine, not 4-core.

This radiator has a trans cooler in the driver side tank, and an engine oil cooler in the passenger side tank. That's the problem. I could get a radiator without the built-in oil cooler with no problem. ***Note - this is a 1990 model. It is a freakin WIDE radiator - wider than the 4-core in my 1990 K5. Did older models come with a different 4-core radiator with both the trans and oil coolers?

Any ideas? The tanks are not good enough to re-core this radiator (and none of the shops want to do that for me anyway). Should I run an aftermarket oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator, in place of the oil cooler in the radiator tank?

Thanks!
    Richard

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Can\'t find 4-core radiator w/trans and oil coolers for 1990 6.2L Sub

Hve you tried here yet? We get ck5 discount there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Yep - I called Raditor.com right before I posted, told them I wanted 4-core, and they said only 3-core is available for my application. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif LMC doesn't list it either, and neither does the local radiator shop.

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what the problem is. ALL 6.2L radiators are "freakin" wide. They're huge, compared to any of the gasser radiators. ALL 6.2L radiators have the engine oil cooler on the passenger side, and the transmission cooler on the driver's side, which I always wondered about. I mean, the oil comes out of the driver's side, crosses over, and goes into the passenger side. The tranny oil comes out the passenger's side, crosses over, and goes into the driver's side. It seems to me that things would be simplified under the hood quite a bit if the lines didn't have to do that criss-cross act.

Anyway, I digress. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I'm not sure what the problem is. I imagine that all the parts books only list a 3 core for a 1/2 ton Suburban, but if you ask for a radiator for the 3/4 ton with towing package, it would probably come up as a 4 core. If that doesn't work, ask for one for a 1990 1 ton pickup. I'm almost positive that all of the automatic tranny radiators are the same size, so a 4 core model from any other 6.2L auto tranny vehicle ought to drop in place of your 3 core.

Casey

5. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

When I was looking for the new radiator for my sub I found a four core with the oil and tranny coolers at the local advance store. Then I talked to another radiator shop and had my tanks recored with a four core flue section for alot less money.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

IMO, don't use the stock oil cooler in the radiator. Use and external one. The radiator in my old '88 crewcab had the oil cooler fail and injected oil into the coolant, but no coolant into the oil. That is why the military decomissioned it. Oil in coolant, thought the block was cracked.

I just bought the large B&M cooler with 1/2 npt threads and mounted it on the LH side. Cut the factory flex hoses and used 37* JIC fittings that were crimped onto the old hose. Then I used parker high temp silicon hose of 1/2" variety too route thru the core support. The hose is blue in color and heat rated to approx 300*F.

Also try asking for a radiator for a '87. Lots of parts stores get the R/V, C/K series of the '88-91 models mixed up.

7. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info! I just went back to the radiator shop this morning. We checked ALL the radiators listed in two different books (and I mean ALL the radiators, not just the radiators listed for a Sub), and none were 4-core with the oil cooler on the passenger side and trans cooler on the driver side. Isn't that weird?

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered a 4-core with no oil cooler. Same width and height, just no oil cooler, and the trans cooler is on the passenger side. This radiator was $100 cheaper than the 3-core with the built in oil cooler.

I am going to splice in the factory oil cooler from a 1989 parts (gasoline) K5 I have at home (the cooler mounts in front of the rad like an aftermarket trans cooler). I plan to cut the rubber part of the K5 and Sub factory lines and splice them together. It might look almost stock! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had already ordered a B&M auxillary trans cooler, so I'll be using that too.

Will be replacing the thermostat at the same time.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks!
    Richard

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for all the info! I just went back to the radiator shop this morning. We checked ALL the radiators listed in two different books (and I mean ALL the radiators, not just the radiators listed for a Sub), and none were 4-core with the oil cooler on the driver side and trans cooler on the passenger side. Isn't that weird?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you type that wrong, or were you actually looking for one with the engine oil cooler on the driver's side? Because GM didn't make them that way. All 6.2L diesels have the engine oil cooler on the passenger side, and the tranny cooler on the driver's side.

Hope your new radiator fits okay.

Casey

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree that it doesn't sound right. My '90 K5 has a factory 4-core with the trans cooler on the driver's side and engine oil cooler on the passenger side.

10. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Did you type that wrong, or were you actually looking for one with the engine oil cooler on the driver's side? Because GM didn't make them that way. All 6.2L diesels have the engine oil cooler on the passenger side, and the tranny cooler on the driver's side.

Hope your new radiator fits okay.

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I typed it wrong - sorry! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I edited my previous post.

I should get around to installing the new radiator next week.

6.2Blazer - would you mind measuring the distance between the tanks on your K5's radiator (like the length of the core)? I want to see if it is the same size as the rad in my Burb. I'll post up Monday with the dimensions of this Burb radiator.

Edit - I have posted the measurements here:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1163523/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Thanks!
    Richard