Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Cant find a Leak Down Tester!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Mar 3, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

\"Cant find a Leak Down Tester!!!

Hey guys me again with the same problem, smoke coming out of my tailpipe from what I can see it looks black, but I noticed what might be an important hint so you guys might be able to help me, that it only smokes when its in idle but if I accelerate a little bit the smoke is gone nothing comes out the tail pipe, but once I let the gas go and it's back on idle it's back to smoking again and like I said it looks more black than anything so do you guys think it could be my carburetor, cause if it was the valves or something else wrong with the engine I think that the smoke wouln't stop when I accelerate right? what do you guys think? and as far as the leak down tester I asked around here and nobody seems to know what the heck I'm talking about went to Autozone, local parts store, Pep Boys and no luck so what do I do guys thanks.

keep blazin !!!

2. Boggin' Blazer

Boggin' Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: \"Cant find a Leak Down Tester!!!

You can make your own if you get a fiting that threads into the spark plug hole
    then you need a short piece of hose and a pressure regulator
    all you are tring to do is apply pressure to the cylinder and find out where the majority of the leakage is comming from. (intake,exhaust or rings) then you can track down the problem from there
    David

Drive It Like You Stole It !!!![​IMG]

3. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

if its BLACK smoke its unburnt fuel, I would suspect the Carb, check the choke and see if its sticking..WK

4. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I agree WK. Check choke operation, fuel pressure, float level and idle screws. Probably is flooding at idle.

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush