Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't find good help these days.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mrk5, Jun 22, 2004.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Can\'t find good help these days.

Can't believe all the people we have come in and apply for jobs that don't have a valid driver's license. Sometimes they even drive here. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Then we have a guy working for us now that has excellent knowledge, skill, and experience. Only problem is about once ever couple of months he just doesn't show up for work a couple of days.

He has driver's license problems too. Last time he didn't show up it was because he was arrested for driving on a revoked license. Thing is we actually paid the tickets for him, this was a good ole' Douglas County screw up. Supposedly the problems have been taken care of now after a couple of court appearances.

Now he hasn't been to work yet this week. Now what! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

OK, glad to get that off my chest.

Rant over.

For now /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Re: Can\'t find good help these days.

So, ahhh what kind of help are you looking for? noticed this (Sign sales & design)

I have a printing degree /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

How's the weather out there /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

we have such a hard time getting decent help/apprentices.. maybe 2 out of the last 20 have been decent... no offense to the younguns in here but all these pups that show at our door are soooo lazy. you tell em to do something and its like your torturing em.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

i dont mind if they don't know chit, i expect that, its ok, i can teach em... but a 20 yr old should be able to work circles around my 40 yr old decrepid a$$.. ain't the case, i dog em all by a longshot on my worst day. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. mrk5

We have a custom sign shop. Been around since '62, I'm third generation.

That one of our other problems. Plenty of people want to do the design/computer work. Course when we advertise for that we get qualified people and then we also get say the real estate agent or some other person totally out of the field looking to change professions. Guess you can't hack 'em for trying.

What we really need are experienced fabricators, installers, and service type people.

Sorry.

Weather's good, and I love Colorado. And I've lived in Florida, Idaho, and Virginia.

5. mrk5

[ QUOTE ]
    ... no offense to the younguns in here but all these pups that show at our door are soooo lazy. you tell em to do something and its like your torturing em.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

i dont mind if they don't know chit, i expect that, its ok, i can teach em... but a 20 yr old should be able to work circles around my 40 yr old decrepid a$$.. ain't the case, i dog em all by a longshot on my worst day. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way and I'm only 29 myself. Some of the people from my generation embarass me.

6. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

We had 3 people show up for an ad we posted the other day. We told them they would have to take a drug test befor they could start and all 3 said ok and all 3 were positive...thats what cracks me up is the amount of stupid people ot there, did they think wer were looking for a positive guy to hire?

7. mrk5

Yeah, I keep wondering if we should start doing tests also. Don't want to do it for the current employees. I feel like if I expect them to do it, I should do it also. And I have bad memories of piss tests from the Nav. I have a shy bladder.

Uh-oh, not sure I like where this post might be going.

8. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

There are people you take care of, and people you don't.
    someone care to elaborate?

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

I've been running an add for about three weeks and have had 3 guys apply but none of them are qualified for the job. Even though the add says 4 years plumbing & heating experience required. I don't push the spotless driving record anymore because half our county has had a DUI. The main reason is that we have more cops per capita <sp?> than anywhere in the counrty. You can't hardly have a beer without walking so...
    As for the drug tests, I'm sorry but until I'm forced to have them take one, I don't belive in them (invasion of privacy). Don't get me wrong, I warn everyone that if they are caught or reported doing them on the job, they will be fired immediately. What they do after hours when there not on call is their bussines. Even with that, I still can't get any good guys to apply. The last guy I hired said he could repair anything. We'll, he could repair some things when he made it in. Needless to say, I told him to hit the highway. When all the hard working baby boomers are gone, this country is going to be in one hell of a mess. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Oh!, I forgot the one mexican guy that called twice and left his 6 digit phone number /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Sorry, I had to tell that one. nothing against anyone. I guess he just needs to learn his number before calling.

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

man ive been workin scence i was 15, i hate all the losers out in my generation nowadays, but hey its good for me i'll work circles around all of them! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

same here. I'm not the hardest worker in the world but I am a believer that you choose to do your job and if you choose to do it don't [darn] slack off, DO IT and as best as you can. I work in a stupid gas station, its a bull job really, but it pays the bills for now. I am amazed at the kids that work there and jus tdon't care. They never do any of the stuff they have to if they can get away with it. To the point that they pull illegal crap by not oding some stuff. Sometimes I really think you have to try to fail as much as most of my generation does.

12. mrk5

Well I've noticed there does seem to be quite a few exceptions to the "generation", if you will, here at CK5. So, that is heartening.

My biggest concern for the future of our business is finding the employees. We have a good reputation and solid repeat customers, but we have to be able to get the work done to keep it all.