Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can't find it!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Jun 20, 2000.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

can\'t find it!

I'm desperately searching out a wicked vibration in my blazer. I've replaced my u joints, the rear yoke (which was toast). I've had my wheels re rebalanced (discount tire hates me). Yesterday I replaced the tail shaft on my np 208 tcase. Found that the oil galley behind the seal was toast. Sealed it back up. The vibration isnt as bad but its still there. My only option left is the pinion bearing. It wasn't as noticable before I got my new tranny but it's near the back so I'm not thinking tranny right now. Could the drive shaft not be aligned? The tcase need aligning? Lemme know what you all think. I'm losing sleep.

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Re: can\'t find it!

If there was some way that you transfer case be out of align with the transmission but i don't think so. The shaft can't really be out of alignment because the u joint would make up for that. Maybe the shaft is out of balance? Look if it still has the weight on it. Just my 2 cents - Doug

3. Black89k5

Black89k5 Registered Member

If u have never changed wheel bearings that could be causing a vibration. And do you have aluminum wheels? Cause if so over-tighening them will cause a bad vibration also. I buddy of mine had a ford pickup with aluminum wheels and they were overtightened it caused a very bad vibration and it felt like wheel bearings were going out.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

What kind / size of tires do you have? How much lift? A tire can be out of round, and it will still balance, but it will cause a severe vibration going down the road.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

What size lift do you have? If you have lifted it then that might be the cause of your vibrations (u-joints are not at the right angles). That could explain why your rear yoke was toast.

BIGJ

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

The lift is only two inches and my tires are 31 10 15's. I do have aluminum wheels. i'll have the torque checked on the lugs. I didn't know that could cause a problem. The vibration is alot better since i replaced the tail shaft on the t case. Thanks for the replies.
    creepin and crawlin
    Jim