Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't find the old post about 4" lift shocks, I have pics for the gabriels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Aug 25, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Can\'t find the old post about 4\" lift shocks, I have pics for the gabriels

Someone posted wanting to know cheap alternatives for shocks.
    I sat my BDS shocks for a 4" lift next to the Cheap Gabriels. Same size. The BDS has a little large shaft but all other dementions are real close.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bds closeup

These in the rear and up front with the furd shock towers would work. 23x4 plus two towers $26 = $118

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re: Can\'t find the old post about 4\" lift shocks, I have pics for the gabriels

For the most part all the shocks made in America are made by 2 companies. Gaberiel and Monroe. The same corperation that owns Monroe owns Rancho. RS5000s aint nothing more than Monroe magunms with poly bushings.
    Gabriel makes a lot of custom shocks under contract with a lot of smaller companies to their specs. Gabriel invented the shock absorber a long time ago.
    Personally I like Gabriel shocks. They work as good as shocks that cost a lot more.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Can\'t find the old post about 4\" lift shocks, I have pics for the gabriels

Can someone show me some pics of the Ford shock setup? I've been meaning to do something with my shocks for years now and I finally want to get mine fixed.

Does Gabriel make any shocks long enough for a 6" lift? Is there any stock application that has really long shocks that will work for our trucks?

Honesly, any help you guys can give me on shocks would be greatly appreciated. Mine have been screwed up so long it's about time I get them fixed before I buy new springs and swap in my 1 ton axles so I can do it all at once.

4. jjlaughner

I think /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Even with a 6" lift and ford towers up front these gabrials will work. For the rear I dont know. Maybe the /\ setup in the rear with these Gabriels.

5. jjlaughner

The Gabriels pushout when you take the strap off, the BDS shocks stay put at where ever you put them. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    I've always used Gabriels, I have the monroe sensa tracks on the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and I HATE them. By the way they are for sale /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif 1 year old, still like new (seem very loose, since they have the loose section in the center and the ends of the shock travel are stiffer). /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

THIS WAS MY 1900th post! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A /\ setup for me wouldn't work, it'd hop like crazy. Does anyone have any pics of the Ford towers installed and can you tell me where you got them?

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Heres a link to Furd shock towers on the front
    Shock Towers

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Steve has the Ford shock towers on the CK5 Blazer. Look around on the tech or projects pages. I think he has some pics posted somewhere in there.

You can get the towers from your friendly Ford dealer. They retail for like $15 each. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The part number has been in a lot of posts, so a search should turn it up fairly quickly.

9. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

How do the Gerbials compare to the Doetsch ??

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You can get the towers from your friendly Ford dealer. They retail for like $15 each. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The part number has been in a lot of posts, so a search should turn it up fairly quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually had my eyes open to this since about 2001, and I've yet to see a thread with details. I'll do a search when I get home from work, thanks.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

12. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    How do the Gerbials compare to the Doetsch ??

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea, I dont even have these on the truck yet, just tossing out the alternatives. Someone had a post awhile back shocks and after I took these pics I could not find that post. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I just put Gabriel shocks (for 2 1/2 to 4" lift) on my truck with 3" of lift. I find them awfully soft compared to the Bilsteins I had on before I lifted the truck; lots of brake dive, even without the weight of the second battery up front. Springs in the front are TC 3"; rears are stock with ORD flip. I'm thinking that the Gabriels may not be a good combination with soft front springs. Just my short experience; I think I'll be going for more rebound damping with the next set of shocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have part numbers for the front shocks you used? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    I would think these would only fit the stock rear setup. The shocks on the far left (the short ones) are the fronts for a 4" lift.
    Just curious as to what the part number for the fronts are?
    Thanks

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

TC springs are just soft. It has nothing to do with shocks. Shocks do not support weight, they only dampen motion.

15. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    TC springs are just soft. It has nothing to do with shocks. Shocks do not support weight, they only dampen motion.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true!

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

not sure of the physics of it all, but wouldnt a dampened compression stroke increase resistance along the total kenetic energy pathway of the spring motion? That is, wouldnt the damping function take some of the potential energy that is trying to go into spring compression?

Just a thought....

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Re: Can\'t find the old post about 4\" lift shocks, I have pics for the gabri

wait till you try a pair of red ryders. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

18. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Can\'t find the old post about 4\" lift shocks, I have pics for the gabri

what are the part number for the gabriel shocks with the extra long travel. I am putting a shackle flip and 4" springs in front and need longer shocks. I don't want to spend an outrageous amount on shocks so the part number for the rear and the front would help out thanks in advance....Jason

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

could you post the extanded and compressed lengths?

thanks for the pn's

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I measured them at work. They're 18" compresssed and 30" extended, approximately.