Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't get brake disc off 1987 Suburban 3/4-ton 4wd

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by airheadpilot, Aug 24, 2004.

1. airheadpilot

airheadpilot Registered Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Can\'t get brake disc off 1987 Suburban 3/4-ton 4wd

One of my brake discs is in poor shape - it's heavily grooved and needs to be replaced. I have the replacement rotor and am in the process of pulling the bad one off the hub. I've removed the lockout hub, loosened and removed the locknut, and now I seem to be stuck. There is what appears to be another locking ring with four male dogs at 90 degrees from each other. It has lots of little holes drilled in the surface. I have the special tool and can turn it. It turns with some resistance, but doesn't appear to move down the shaft. I can't see any circlip or snap ring holding it in place. The rotor is now loose and wiggles but is clearly still being held in place by something. The only thing I can see is this locking ring, but clearly I'm clueless on how to get it out. My Hanes manual is spectacularly unhelpful on this point. What am I doing wrong? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Andrew in Belmont, CA /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif
  2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Dec 15, 2002
    Re: Can\'t get brake disc off 1987 Suburban 3/4-ton 4wd

There will be a nut then behind that a lockring and then another nut and maybe a big washer but maybe not. You have to remove all of them. The lock ring with the dog ears may have one bent down to keep nuts from backing off.