Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cant get carrier or axle out of 10b rear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike83blazer, Dec 28, 2002.

1. mike83blazer

mike83blazer Registered Member

I have removed the cover and I cannot figure out how to remove the left axle. I see the 4 bolts holding the center section in there, and i can remove those and move the thing around but I see no way to remove the clip holding the axle in. Is there a step i missed,pls let me know.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You took off the carrier bearing caps...you don't want to do that. Put them back on, making sure that you put them on EXACTLY how they came off and torque them to the spec. You can find the spec in a repair manual or on ring-pinion.com.

You want to remove the pinion cross shaft. First take out the little bolt that holds it in, which should be 3/8" or 10 mm. Then remove the cross shaft and you should be able to push the axle in, remove the C-clip and pull it out.

3. mike83blazer

is the pinion cross shaft in the middle of the carrier? if so then that already broke out. and the axle does not want to move at all.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes that is the pinion shaft. If that is out, all you should have to do is push the axle inwards and pull the C clip and remove it.

5. mike83blazer

do the wheels have to off to remove the axles?

6. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

Yikes! What exactly are you trying to do? First thing I would suggest is getting a manual. So you can follow the steps. The vehicle must be raised and supported with the wheels and brake drums removed. After you remove the cover rotate the carrier until you can access the pin bolt holding the cross pin in. It is either 5/16 or 10mm. Once you remove the bolt rotate the carrier enough so that you can slide the cross pin/ pinion shaft out. Push the axle towards the center section of the assembly and remove the c-clip and then you can remove the axle. Do not rotate the axles when the pinion shaft is removed or the spider gears will pop out.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yikes is right!! It's a semi floating axle..the wheels are bolted to the shafts. Of course you have to remove the tires first!

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if the tires are off the ground you dont have to remove the tires. support the axle housing with jack stands, but i am assuming you have already. the follow the steps listed above. it is easier to do it with the tires and rims off.
    but ya dont have to.
    Grant

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You DO have to have the tires off, or you cannot push the shafts in to get the c-clips off. </font color>

10. mike83blazer

i did have the blazer supported with jack stands, i made sure of that. and the wheels were off the ground. and i had already got the right axle out due to the fact that the center section is completely destroyed and it just fell out so i was trying to remove the entire thing to get a replacment but i was stuck on the left. anyways thanks for the help i got it all removed. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i can see how that would be....
    i guess i should have not said anything since i was working on a 10 bolt that was of VERY ab normal standards...
    the one i was working on was grenaded inside and i didnt have to have the tires off. sorry for any confusion.
    Grant