Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't get my dash pad off

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gjk5, Aug 27, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Can\'t get my dash pad off

I can't seem to get my dash pad off, I have removed the 4 or 5 screws across the front and need to get it all the way off so I can paint it and get to the dash speakers. Any suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on speaker placement for door spkrs on a '72? (do I have to cut the door or can I put them on the vinyl panel)

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: Can\'t get my dash pad off

There are also nuts to remove up underneth the dash..4 or 5 of them..
    good luck

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

Like Burt said I believe 5 of them and they shoudl be 3/8" the are located above the ones you took out and dont be suprised if after you get them off you have to maneuver the dash around quite a bit side to side and up and down while pulling toward the rear of the vehicle to get the pad off. The bolts that are hidded slip into slots and some are usually bent a little up or down. It is definately a nuckle buster. Helps if you have the guage cluster and heater controls, stereo, and ashtray out. Also the inner glove box. Enjoy!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah you have to get up inside of the dash frame shell under the dash pad to remove them all,
    they are kinda a pain to pop off and pop on, getting the studs lined up is the fun part, more fun thatn trying to find all the nuts up under it, one at each end remember, way out at ends

i really dont recommend removing the pad unless you really have to, or have patience and no temper problems

good luck

5. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

When you put it back, I have read using wingnuts rather than those speed nuts will make life much easier and don't overtighten or risk pulling the studs out of the pad.

6. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes knuckle buster ball buster contortionist all of the above this is a tough one even with the dash gutted all of the acorn nuts on mine just spun on the threads not comming off had to grab them with vice grips squeeze the crap out of them and yank them off. good luck / patients challenge /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif my 69

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I am painting all of the vinyl black on it, but in light of the fact that I have no patience and a sketchy temper I think I'll try to paint it in place. Thanks for the info guys.

By the way, I got my soft top fully installed yesterday! Looks great, but if anyone has pics of the straps and buckles that attach to the footman loops to keep tension when the sides and back are rolled up, post 'em, I didn't end up with any of these for some reason.

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

My soft top did not come with the footman loops or straps also, old Kayline snap top. I went to OSH and picked up a set fer like 5bucks. The straps are just basic 1" sinch straps and i loop them around the rear bar of the top and mounted the footmans to the inside top of my tailgate /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifworks great keeping the top nice and snug /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

what top did you get, i have the fastrac and the back part of the top is what holds everything on...

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

It was the snap top that came with the truck, I think the PO must have bought it on e-bay of something, because it had none of the mounting hardware and he had just pulled it tight over the rollbar and then screwed it into the bed side sheetmetal /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif it has red paint from the rollbars rubbed off onto the windows and about 20 useless holes in the sheetmetal. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I'm trying to think of a simple solution for the holes, I'm thinking bedliner all the way round the bed about 2" down the body? I'm already lined throughout the tub and I'm gonna do from the trim down to the rockers and maybe over the wheel wells soon.

Thanks for the suggestion on just putting a cinch strap, I'll give it a try.

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Just noticed that you said to the top of tailgate, I'll have to take a look at that, the instructions from Kayline say on the back corner of the bed side @ 45 deg angle, but I thought that wouldn't work if I have to just loop over the rear bow with the strap.