Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cant get my driveshaft out...---got it out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Apr 9, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I finally get in my cv shaft but i cant get my old shaft out, the ujoint is stuck in the pinion yoke, ive tried hammering, kicking, pulling, pushing! What do I do?

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: cant get my driveshaft out...

torch it or use a cut off wheel to cut the joint in half. that should free up enough area to break it loose.

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

stick a pry bar in there, if thaty don't work you got something rusted BAD all mine came right out /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

GET A BIGGER HAMMER!!!! Simple rule of /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif that will do the job.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

should I be happy mine slides back and forth in the pinion yoke creating that nasty vibration?

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Are you supposed to jack it up? or does it have any affect leaving it in gear or the tires on the ground?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its just rusted that bad? mine was stuck in because there was some bad grime buildup but it popped out easily compared to what your saying.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, first of all, set your parking brake or chock the tires because once you get the shaft free, there's nothing keeping your truck from rolling over you. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    You should just be able to bust it free...rust shouldn't have too hard of a hold on it. I'm sure you've tried everything you can think of, so it's not going to do any good if I rattle off various ideas, but just keep trying - sooner or later it has to bust free. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

it shouldnt be rusted, i just got a new axle and new Ujoint....

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Did you remove the straps? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I would take a 1/2 extension and place it on the cap in the pinion, then smack it with the 2lb sledge. This could create enough lateral pressure to bust it loose. Then I would repeat the process on the other side to try and break it loose. The extension should focus the force directly on the ujoint itself. Then I would try a prybar in the gap between the joint and the pinion. If that doesn't work, get a propane torch and heat it and try the above process.

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That's right, didn't you have a shop put some new axles in for you? (If not, then I'm thinking of someone else, sorry) If that's the case, I'd call that shop and ask them what the he!! they did. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Make sure that the brakes are set and that the tranny is in neutral. This will remove any bind from the driveshaft. It can be a real beotch to get the u-joint to pop loose if you just pulled up and dropped the tranny in park and then let the truck settle back against the park pawl. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Then, if it's still sticking, insert the end of a pry bar between the u-joint and the yoke and pry it outta there. Be ready to catch the driveshaft if it suddenly pops loose! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I second what heavy4x4 said, make sure theat all of the tension is released from the rear of the truck. Chock the front tires, realease the e-brake, put the tranny in neutral and try again. </font>

14. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah.... my buddy told me to jack up the rear and put it in netrual... binded driveshaft. BAH i shoulda thought of that.

15. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

ok... well.... its not working . I jacked up the rear, took it out of gear, used a hammer, kicked it, screw driver as a pry bar cause I dont have one (broke my phillips) /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    What now??

16. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Dang dude, I've never heard of anyone having so much trouble...crappy.
    You do have the straps off, right? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    Did you call the shop and ask them what they did? I would do that...maybe for some odd reason they super epoxied the caps into the yoke instead of using clips to hold them in. Man, I sure hope that's not what they did (or anything close to what they did), but I'm running out of ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

17. HarryH3

Go to the store and buy some real prybars. Once you have 'em, you'll wonder how you ever lived without 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I use one for something nearly every time I go into the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I like the ones that have a big plastic handle on 'em, sorta like a screwdriver handle. They come in various sizes. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

18. HarryH3

19. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I emailed the mechanic, and he says sometimes they can get stuck pretty bad. He says he has a bigass 3foot long prybar with the plastic handle that looks like a screw driver-- i guess like what you are talking about.
    I guess i can get me one of those and see how that works out.

ps. yes i do have the 4 bolts and straps off. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Thanks guys

20. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Just remember not to smack on the u-joint cup hard enough to break the ear off of the yoke that holds the joint in the proper place. If you do you'll have to get a new yoke or do a little back-yard engineering like I do and weld a piece of washer on the yoke to hold the joint from moving side to side /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.