Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cant get spindles off?!?!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mxrcr589, Dec 1, 2003.

1. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

alright im trying to replace my ball joints and u joints and i cant get the spindles off???? I got the six retainer studs and lock nuts off, and have beaten the crap out of it and i cant seen to get them off, does anyone know any good tricks, i only have a little torch, which isnt working.

also after i get the spindles off, the axle shafts should come right out right? or is there a c clip i have to take off?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I had the same problem on a buddies of mines truck. Ended up having to take a punch, and pound out the 6 pressed in studs, then hit the spindle with a rubber hammer really good and they popped off. Worth a try /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

smack the spindle where they sit up against the knuckle on the flat mounting edge, some pblaster, maybe a small chisel to wedge between the knuckle and spindle to move them apart..

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look closely at the knuckle itself and you'll see a notch at the outer edge that provides a place to smack the back of the spindle flange with a large punch. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

What they said...just keep pounding on it. I used a wood block and hit it with a 3 pound hammer. They were free after a couple of whacks.

And yes, once the spindle is off, the axleshaft will slide out. No c-clips in the front axle.

6. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

got em off thanks for all the help

7. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Get a slide hammer with the spindle adapter. They will come off in a few seconds. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Get a slide hammer with the spindle adapter. They will come off in a few seconds. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Rent it at Autozone if you want to do it that way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif