Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't get the beast to fire up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Nov 13, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Can\'t get the beast to fire up?

Well I just got back from a big wheelin trip last week and went to fire up the K5 on wednesday. She would not fire up, so I pulled the air cleaner and dumped a little fuel down in the carb and she cranked up. I ran it for like 10 minutes and drove around the corner to my buds house. Then yesterday i tried to start it again and she would not start??? Could it be the fuel filter? I am stumped since it ran when I force fed it to start? Any help would be greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Re: Can\'t get the beast to fire up?

choke messed up?

3. stallion85

I don't have the choke on and never have......could be a possibility but it never did that before /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Is it carburated?
    I'd bet it is, and from what you described, I'd almost put money on the carburater having a leak internally.
    In the bottom of the bowl is two plugs that once jarred hard enough, will need to be epoxyed so they won't leak any more. here's what happens: engine runs fine, you stop, don't start it for a day or two, all the fuel leaks out of the bowl, and NO START! till you prime it, then it's fine till you stop it for another day .let me know /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Might be a fuel pump problem. What Uncle Matty said sounds very plausible. I have had problems with Quadrajet fuel plugs before when they started leaking, but instead of not starting it would flood the engine all the time.

Did you go to the air show today out at the base?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't know what the run time is on a float bowl full of gas, but I'd bet that ten minutes run time is not likely from just a bowl full of gas.

If it were internal leaks, it would still *eventually* start up, as long as your fuel pump was working and pulling fuel as you cranked the engine.

7. stallion85

I am thinking it is the fuel pump. Today I went and bought a fuel filter and put it in and still no dice. So I unplugged the fuel line from the carb and cranked on it for a minute and no fuel came out of the line. So the best guess would be fuel pump?

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Oh and 1 ton, I went to the Air show on Saturday and worked it on Sunday

8. stallion85

Ok I just poured some more gas down the carb and she started and is currently running. My question is, if it is the fuel pump howcan it still be running?????

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It is possible for it to pump just enough gas to keep it running but not pump the proper amount of gas.

If you disconnected the gas line and cranked it and it didn't spirt out at a decent rate while cranking then I would say your fuel pump is bad.

Harley

10. dyeager535

After you get it running, turn it off, then test the fuel pump output like you did, by disconnecting the line. If it's pumping fuel now, and wasn't earlier, I'd suspect the fuel pump. BUT my personal experience has been very little time from fuel pump acting up to fuel pump complete failure...in about 15 minutes of run time.

It can take quite some time of cranking if the fuel lines are dry and the float bowl is empty, but it should still eventually start pulling fuel.

Long shot, but the in-tank filter might be causing problems too.

11. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    After you get it running, turn it off, then test the fuel pump output like you did, by disconnecting the line. If it's pumping fuel now, and wasn't earlier, I'd suspect the fuel pump. BUT my personal experience has been very little time from fuel pump acting up to fuel pump complete failure...in about 15 minutes of run time.

It can take quite some time of cranking if the fuel lines are dry and the float bowl is empty, but it should still eventually start pulling fuel.

Long shot, but the in-tank filter might be causing problems too.

[/ QUOTE ]

On an old 350 like mine the only fuel pump is on the block right? I was unaware of a filter in the tank. I let it run for 15 minutes and it revved fine and didn't stumble. I turned it off and let it sit for 20 minutes and she started right back up /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Is their some sort of check vavle in the fuel pump which keeps the line some what packed? Then when you go to crank it over again it isn't drawing fuel all the way down the fuel line to the tank? Just an idea, could explain why it will run but it can't draw enough suction to get her going??

12. dyeager535

Yes, fuel pump on the block.

Don't believe there are any check valves in the system. Typically though, if the carb well plugs aren't leaking, there is fuel left in the float bowl for quite some time, which allows easy starts later on, even if the lines are "dry", and which gives enough time for the pump to catch up.

Still, if the line actually went completely dry every time you let the rig sit, it would always be hard to start with leaking well plugs in the carb. I suspect fuel typically sits in the lines between the pump and tank by design, so you DON'T have to hope the pump starts sucking fuel by the time the float bowl goes empty.

13. stallion85

Well I tried startin her today and the same thing, only this time it acted like it wanted to fire then stopped. I then could smell fuel which makes me think it is flooding. So I let it sit for another 30 minutes and tried again with no luck???? I just rebuilt the carb like 2 months ago....I guess I could take it apart again..... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. dyeager535

I've never seen the results, but if you are running it, you do know there is a right way and wrong way to install the fuel filter in the carb, right?

I would think if flooding was an issue, even if you poured gas into the carb after trying to start it, A) you would have noticed the smell those times, and B) it still wouldn't have fired, as adding the additional fuel wouldn't help.

15. stallion85

Well, I have a filter before the pump and have not checked the one on the carb. Come to think of it I don't even know if their was one it when I rebuilt it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

when your trying to start it, are you pumping the pedal as fast as u can? if not try it and if it starts to wanna start the faster you pump your carb is bad. But if you go to turn it over with fuel line disconnected and nuthin comes out its your pump or you have a kink or hole in your line.