Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't get the clutch bled

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordeater, Aug 21, 2005.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, i recently installed a hydraulic clutch setup in my 83 Gmc pickup. I got a new master, and a new slave cylinder. I cannot get the clutch to bleed out all the way. I have free play about half way to the ground in the pedal. I've tried gravity bleeding it, bleeding it holding the slave at a 45 degree angle, bench bleeding, and pumping the hell out of the pedal. I also bought a mighty vac and tried it with that. I cannot figure it out. I just wanna get this thing bled so i can sell the truck. Any other hints or tips would be appreciated.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The very first thing that needs to be adjusted is the pedal free travel. Once you have pedal free travel adjusted then you can continue on to bleeding the slave cylinder. Most people don't realize that you MUST block the clutch fork from moving in order to properly bleed a slave cylinder. Once the clutch fork is blocked with a piece of wood or other item so it cannot move then you can bleed it with ease. :thumb:

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Thanx! I was trying to figure out how to say it, I always used a prybay to hold the fork in place then had someone else hit the pedal.

4. fordeater

ok, i did that and then got just about a full clutch. I drove it around the block and it was perfect, then when i got back home i had a full pedal, but it wouldn't go in gear. :mad:

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You no doubt have air in the system still. Re-bleed it again and see what happens, just make sure that the clutch master never runs empty or near empty when you're trying to bleed it or that will allow air into the system.

6. fordeater

Thanks ALOT for the help. I was going crazy, luckily my head is shaved therefore no hair to pull out.

7. fordeater

ok, i've been bleeding it over and over once again. I cannot get a full pedal again. I'm real close to just paying somebody to fix it.