Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't get the daggum harmonic balancer off...help?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Aug 29, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Can\'t get the daggum harmonic balancer off...help?

Well, I've got the puller on, and I'm giving it everything I've got and it ain't budgin. Can anybody who's a psychic mind reader tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Can\'t get the daggum harmonic balancer off...help?

are you using a 3-jaw type puller or one that screws into where the pulley wheel bolts too?

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the quick response. I'm using the one that screws to where the pulley wheel goes. It's turning the crank, is that a real bad thing? But it won't come forward/loose. Do I have to set the timing again now that I've turned the balancer/ crank? And do you have any tips on how to get this pieceshit off? Thanks again

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

what i did when i redid my dads a few weekends ago is i had to fold a rag a few times and put it around the balancer and grabbed the rag and balancer with a pair of vice grips just tight enuf for it not to come off when your loosen it up. As for timing it, just follow what the book says to do and you'll be good. When reassembly, align the timing marks should be as followed: with No. 1 cylinder at TDC, your crank gear mark should be at 12 o'clock and the cam gear mark should also be at 12 o'clock, also double check rotor to make sure your are at TDC at No. 1. Then rotate the crankshaft one full revolution (No. 6 should be at TDC) the crank gear mark at 12 o'clock and cam gear is at 6 o'clock. Hope this helps.

5. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Okay, I have now stripped all three holes out being the moron I am. Is there another kinda puller I can pick up tomorrow? I've also stripped out the bolts that came with the puller that I rented from Autozone. Are there any other alternatives to pulling the balancer off? I can take the old one off of my TBI motor so I'm not screwed totally, as long as I can still get this one off. Thanks for your help Jeff

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If you can get ahold of one, try the 3-jaw wheel puller, reverse the jaws and pull from the inside.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You can put some vicegrips on the flexplate to jam it up. This is what I usually do. Good luck.

8. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I've got some nice new shiny vicegrips I need to dirty up a lil, can someone explain how to 'jam it up'? I think I'll give it a whirl.

9. Sandman

On the back of the engine, underneath. There may or may not be a cover between the tranny and the engine. If there is, pull it of and then you can see the flexplate or whatever you have. It will be a large round thing on the back of the engine with teeth all the way around. Put the vicegrips on it and when it rotates, the vicegrips will move up to the engine and stop it from moving more. Once you get under there it should be straitforward. Good luck with it.

10. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

i take it you have the big bolt out of the harmonic balancer?? you might want to squirt a little lubricating oil in there, maybe it will loosen it up some? i've never really seen one stuck on there.

11. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Okay I see what you are saying about the flexplate jammin thing. Last night my buddy used a crowbar to keep it from turning, I couldn't turn it after a couple of half rotations. I then tried to position the ratchet where I could stand on it to move it. That worked a couple of times but then I had to bounce on it to move it and then of course the ratchet broke shortly after. Anybody in Oklahoma that can take it off for me /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I'll give ya $30 and make some burgers and get some beer too

12. Sandman

Holy crap. That thing must be on there. You could try heating it up with a torch. That might work.

13. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Stupid question but did you take the center bolt out of the crankshaft? I have not seen you mention doing that

14. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I was goign to say that too, also I had a Furd i did the same thing to, fought it for 2 days, ended up being I didn't get the washer behind the bolt out when I pulled the bolt.

Boy I felt like a dumb A$$!