Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't get the freakin manual tranny to go into the pilot bearing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys

Bit of a rant / plea for suggestions here.

Called up 4 - 5 guys a few days ago, asking them to come give me a hand install my 465/205 today, knowing that the thing weighs half a ton. Come this afternoon, and no one can be bothered to show up. Goes to show what kind of "friends" I have :mad:

So, I spent the whole freaking day wresting with the stupid sm465 trying to get it installed. Got the input shaft into the clutch, and 4 long bolts between the bellhousing and engine. It slides in till it hits the pilot bushing, but it won't go in any further, no matter what I do. Just makes a CLUNK, and stops dead :(

Did I not get the bushing in far enough, or what? I dropped the tranny after all my work and put an old input shaft I have in, and sure enough, slid right in without any effort at all, proving that I didn't move the clutch disk or something while fighting with it this afternoon.

Should I just tear the whole engine out, and put it in as one peice (less the transfercase)? Thats how tried to get my 74 together, never even did manage it, my father certainly came in a hurry after I started throwing tools, even though I did ask him to help me hours before.

Gah, I'm just frusterated :(

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You likely need to jack up the rear of the tranny a little and give it a little wiggle as you push it forward. Make sure the end of the input shaft has a nice chamfer on it and isn't bunged up even a little...

I've fought with the exact problem every time I've had my 465 out. :doah:

Rene

3. stayaway

stayaway Registered Member

The wiggle always works good :D

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Just keep working at it and it will eventually go. I've had some slide right in, and some fight me for hours. Sometimes they have to line up just perfect or they won't even think of going in. You just need to catch the right angle.

5. Russell

I tried all of that a million times over -- Lifted the back of the tranny, lowered it put it side to side, and wiggled it while hammering on the end of the adapter with both feet. Just wouldn't go in. I just dropped it, and came inside before something got destroyed, lol

I think I'll do some of the smaller, easier jobs tommorow to give myself a bit of confidence, and take a step forwards, instead of 5 backwards for once :crazy:

6. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Sometimes you need to do just that; take a break and try again later. May be wishful thinking, but sometimes I've taken a break, and went back not angry anymore and with newfound motivation, and had things work the way they should.

7. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you put your pilot bushing in backwards? That would make it real tough to put it together. Pssst, don't forget your throwout bearing. I did mine by myself and it took a lot of wiggling and forcing (and stripped bellhousing, ruined pilot bushing etc.) to get my combo installed. An atv/mc jack worked wonders.

8. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

my .02 cents,,

I have locked the trans into two gears before--1 forward and reverse.

This causes the input shaft to be "locked" and then the "wiggle effect" on the trans housing is more effective.

I have also connected the clutch linkage and had some one "release" the cluch disk just enough to let the input shaft to slip into place.

I take it you used some sort of alignment tool,,an old input shaft works well,,,

9. Russell

I put the bevelled end of the bushing in towards the back of the truck, so the input shaft has something to guide it in

Had no problems installing the throwout bearing either, slid right on without any complaint.

I did infact use an old input shaft as an alignment tool :) I had no problems getting the input shaft into the clutch, but I couldn't get it any further than that.

David (snoman) is gonna come over on Saturday to give me a hand this saturday, so hopefully I can get it installed saturday afternoon.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

they can be a bi***!

I've struggled with a few SM465's alone too..it sucks!..

Maybe the splines aren't lined up--tried rotating the output shaft while your pushing it in?--(easier said than done I know--)..if your using 4 "guide pin" bolts,try using only the top 2..that will let you move the tranny around a bit more,might help align things...re-check the disc,make sure its still lined up with your dummy mainshaft (and that it isn't in backwards:doah: --I did that twice before,I'm ashamed to admit!)--it might go in easier without the adapter bolted on.....good luck,and don't throw your back out,or let it fall on you!--I bolt a chain across the frame rails,in case I cant hold it up any longer,or if it slips on the jack,just in case...:crazy:

11. tolovana

tolovana Registered Member

Sounds like you've tried all the normal things. Is this the original trany or are you replacing an auto? If you’re doing a conversion make sure you have compatible pieces. Is the bell housing depth and the transmission input shaft length compatible? Is the spline and diameter of the input shaft the same as that of the old shaft you used to align the clutch? By the way I had the 465 and 205 in and out of my old ’69 K20 (not original) several times and always preferred to pull the engine/trany/transfer case as a unit. Of course things were much more simple then. No power steering pump, no smog pumps, no ac … Hang in there and good luck.

12. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You need to release the clutch after you get it on as far as you have it. I have done a bunch of these, and no matter how careful you are with the alignment tool it is almost impossible to get the clutch plate lined up right so it will go together. It may take two people, but I normally slide under the front of the truck and push on the clutch fork with my foot to release it. The tranny will slide right on once the clutch is released.