Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't get the keys outta my ignition switch!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jun 9, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Can\'t get the keys outta my ignition switch!

After workin on the truck yesterday, I went to start her up just ot make sure all was well. Started right up - GREAT! I let the truck run until it got up to temp, and then I shut her down. Only problem is, I can only turn the key back to the position between OFF and RUN!??? What is that about? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Any ideas out there for me?

Thanks again all!

BTW - For all those who helped me out with the noise that I had after installing the 465 - I uninstalled the trans yesterday to notice that the 3 bolts that hold the fingers to the clutch pressure plate (PP) had been contacting the clutch fork when I let the clutch out all the way. I removed the PP, ground off the heads of those bolts, and now all is well! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif 12 days and counting before I have new drive shafts made!!! Can't wait to hit the trails again!!!

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Re: Can\'t get the keys outta my ignition switch!

I guess I missed the posts about you swapping transmissions. I take it you use to have an automatic? It might be the safety switch that normally keeps you from locking the steering wheel while the transmission is out of the park position. Can't really help beyond that since mine came with a manual tranny, I don't know what the "guts" of an auto steering column look like.

If you still have the shifter knob on the column try moving it to the "Park" position and hopefully that'll be all it takes.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you swapped steering columns there is an interlock lever thingy you need to depress to get the keys out on a manual column.

Rene

4. KRAZIE87K5

See - that's what I get for being tired AND in a hurry! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif I must have knocked the shifter sleeve on the column into reverse... cause I went back out there, rotated the column to the left (counter-clockwise), and the keys came right out /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif !

Guess I'm so used to having the great folks out here to save my a$$, vs. thinking for myself! LMAO!

-Dan

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Happens to the best of us! I have it happen all the time. Just as soon as you forget to check and forget all about what the problem could be - then you will be sitting in a parking lot or on a trail asking what is wrong. It takes just about 20 minutes to remember it! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

6. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

broke my key in the ignition once a pinta. From trying to hard to convince it to come out when it didnt wana. Glad you were level headed enough to avoid my mistake

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Did you hear about KRAZIE87K5's wife locking the keys in the car? Yeah it took 2 hours to get Dan out of the car. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Joke bro.

8. KRAZIE87K5

Man... that's what I get for loosing my head ONCE... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Guess I deserve it huh?

-Dan

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Hey if we weren't all friends in here. That's the problem with those new fangled second gen trucks. Now 1st gen has the switch in the dash where god intended them to be. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif