Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't get this damn B&M shifter cable right!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Oct 20, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Can\'t get this damn B&M shifter cable right!

With some of the members advice on this forum, I got my tranny/transfer case in just fine. By myself, with no problems other than dropping it once lol. Anyway, now I'm trying to install the ratchet floor shifter. Everybody always said how easy the install was and I figured if I ever wanted one now was the time, when everything was torn apart. Usually with instructions, I just kinda glance through them and do things the way I think they should be done. Well since shifting is a pretty important thing, I figured I'd do things step by step exactly as the instructions say. Down to the final step, adjusting the shifter cable. I did it exactly the way the instructions say and it will not shift. If I give it a little force, it'll shift from park on down to drive, then I can get it to 1st, but once it's in first, there's no getting it back into 2nd or D or anything else. I don't know how freely the shift piece on the tranny is supposed to move, but moving it by hand hurt my fingers, so maybe that's a little too tight? I've tried everything I can think of and everything the instructions say to do.

2. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Re: Can\'t get this damn B&M shifter cable right!

lol, should I fill up my tranny with ATF?

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Still messin with it. I filled it up with ATF thinking maybe that would loosen the gear lever up somehow. Don't know how I coulda been so stupid there as it didn't change a thing. I've come to the conclusion that the gear lever just won't move without some force, even with the nut off, it still is hard to move. Can I loosen it up somehow, I'm sure that the cable is adjusted properly I've been fooling with it for almost 6 hours now.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I had a B&M Starshifter that I had a problem getting to shift back upward. would downshift okay, but not up. It turned out the adjuster on the shifter side of the cable came loose. (At shifter under plastic cover, not tranny side of cable.) I would check that.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you take the cable loose on the transmission, can you move the linkage arm on the side of the transmission ??? Should be able to change gears easily. If it's real stiff, something is too tight.

6. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Yeah, if I take that cable off, and shift it by hand, it's real stiff, even with the nut all the way off. How do you loosen it up?

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Not sure on that one. I haven't had meny automadic transmissoins apart, so I don't want to give you bad advice. I'm sure there is someone who knows automadic transmissins that could help. What model tranny is it ??? TH350, TH400, ...ect. ???

8. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I think the tranny shifter should click from gear to gear (at least it does on my 700r4). I noticed inside (just drop the pan) you can see a large toothed half gear type thing with a spring tensioned roller that holds the shifter in the gear you put it. Like the setup on the cab doors that keep them from slamming on your leg if you are pointed uphill. Maybe you can change the spring out to a lighter one to make it shift easier. Don't know if any of this applies to your situation, but I figured I'd throw it out there and share. Good luck. Does the shifter and cable (not hooked to the tranny) move easily?

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Which shifter did you get?
    I remember on my 75' I had the Quicksilver shifter (I think that's the name), on my TH350 and it was pretty smooth.

Now, on my 89', I have the Mega shifter, and it's a little stiffer to shift (have a built r4), but not nearly as stiff as you're describing..)

I remember moving the shift lever on the tranny by hand, and it was stiff when you first start to move it but once you got it going, it would move quickly. It was tough to move though.

How is your cable routed? Any sharp bends on the cable may kink it giving you some troubles... Just a thought...