Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cant get wheel off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Jul 26, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Some F*cker slashed a few people's tires on my street and guess what i happened to be one of them. There was a gash in my back passenger tires sidewall /forums/images/icons/mad.gif ... so i jack the truk up and im trying to get the lug nuts off and they are on TIGHT from the air tools we used last time... but i dont have the airtools now, what can i do to make it easier to get the damned lugnuts loose??!Thanks!

2. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Even when you get the lug nuts off, I would suggest replacing the studs....they will be shot.NEVER use an impact wrench on lug nuts.Get a 4-way lug wrench and it will be easier to remove.OUCH!!!!

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

SH!T I'm been using a impact on lugs for over 35 years. Never had a problem yet. Just got to know what you're doing. As to getting it off. Before you jack it up, use a beaker bar to loosen them. If you have deep dish wheels and have to use a extention the put a jack stand between the wheel and the breaker bar so it doesn't try and lean down and slip. Sometimes you have to stand on the breaker bar. Even had to jump on them some times. I've loosen big rig lugs manualy this way when they were tightened to over 900 ft lbs of torque. Just need a long enough lever.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do you use an impact wrench to snug down main bearing cap bolts too?

Just because it works (or has) doesn't mean its right. I can't stand breaking lug nuts off or seeing rims that have the lug nut holes worn from being tightened so much.

Whats proper torque on these things? 75 or 90 ftlbs? If the gun is set for that, cool, if not, uncool.

I won't argue with you that it doesn't work, because it obviously does, there is just no reason to risk having problems when all you need to do is tighten them down to a set ft lb setting.

Hell, all mine are done by hand with no torque wrench, have always been done that way, and I've never had a problem. (nor have I had any rounded lug nuts, or broken or loose studs) Doesn't mean my way is right either, because if I was doing it for a living, you can be damn sure I'd remove myself from liability by using a torque wrench.

Again, if you are running the gun to whatever ft lb they need, thats great, I'm just pointing out for others that impact guns are fast and easy, but you have to be careful.

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You can also warp the brake drums by over tightening the lug nut's also. Use a 3 foot breaker bar jump up and down on it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Do you Troque your lug nuts? I have on certin cars. VWs needed it. The way the lug bolts went into the drums. And on my Mac version of the IR super duty gun there's a nob you turn to adjust the amount of force it puts out. How many Nascar teams you see using a four way to do a wheel change? Do they have a problem running 200 mph doing it this way? But "A man got to know his limitations". The one thing I won't use a impact on is most wheel locks. But then I've been running a impact for over 35 years. I'm not some punk kid hammering away at some tire store. Another thing is put a little anti-seize on the studs. Keeps the lugs from rusting on.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

UYB if I jump up and down on a 3' breaker bar it's going to put more force than my impact will. 3 x 250lbs + 750 ft lbs torque.

8. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

true that nascar teams use impacts...but i dont think they are gonna take a 10 min break just to change tires. they use them cause they are fast. and their's are set to a certain rating. plus, they change studs and all after every race. how many times a yr do u change ur studs?? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

NITRO

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Like I said, I don't torque them on. I put them on to what "feels" right. I'm also not worried about suing myself if a wheel comes off. Sure, theres always "what if it comes off and kills someone else" but thats remote, extreme, and the case when you do any of your own work.

I'd have to agree, thats like saying Nascar runs 12:1 compression all the time or something. Doesn't mean its good, right, or appropriate for everyone.

As you mentioned, you can adjust the amount of force it puts out. I have no problem with someone doing that, I *WOULD* if I went to a shop and you used the same setting for a commercial vehicle as you did for mine : )

I totally want to make sure everyone understands there is a big difference between knowing what you are doing, and doing something because someone else has.

Just be careful, and don't cause yourself or your vehicle undue grief or pain.

10. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    The wheel studs that Nascar are using are totally different to your stock 7/16" studs.Besides don't you think that those mechanics are pre-setting their impacts for the correct settings?But hey keep doing with your impact and maybe you will never have a tire fly off going 75MPH.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh someones used that on mine b4, first time i took tires off, had to put a pull bar on it, and a 8ft pipe, still took a bit of effort, 1 stud is broke off of each drivers side wheel, but i got 8 so its no a REAL biggy. I just use a 4way lug wrench, and give it all i got.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Air guns can be adjusted. Heck, I just went through my lug nuts, had the truck in the shop 2 weeks before Hollister and the lug nuts were looser than what I run them down with the 4-way. Of course, I run steel wheels so I don't have to worry about torque values, but with aluminum they need to be torqued with a torque wrench.

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I've done it enough times with a 4 way to know how far after the lug hits the wheel to tighten the lugs with a impact. The problem is someone who hasn't done this a lot. When you use a 4 way you spin them in the tighten so much more. I do the same with a impact. But if you don't have the feel then don't do it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Proper torque on 3/4 ton axles is 118 ft lbs.

15. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Most tire/wheel companies that do use impacts use torque rods to make sure they are torqued correctly. I think that this is just like anything else use common sense and you should be fine!!

Shane-