Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cant make up my friggin mind (long)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by new2k5, Jan 14, 2003.

1. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

ok i have a 87 k5 that needs a t case. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i was going to go with an atlas but by the time all was said and done it would be 3k i only paid 2k for the truck and havent done any other mods yet. i am buying a set of 1 tons with 456 and detroit rear. i want to do a 4" lift with 37" ssr's. is a 208 worth gettin rebuilt? i was considering a 205 with an ORD adapter but then i would have to do at least a new rear if not front driveshaft takeing most of my lift tire/money. as far as i can tell its only a bad forks in the tcase so i guess it shouldn't be that expensive. i'm just worried about haveing a slip yoke t case. will i get vibes with 4" lift and a 208 with stock driveshaft? i am tryin to get as much of this done asap so my girlfreind will stop bitchin about me workin 12 hour days and still not havein any money. please give me your suggestions to ease my troubled mind /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Since you already have a 208 t case the easiest thing to do is fix it or swap in another one. You can also get a 241 from an 89 and swap it in. 241's from 90 and 91 use a VSS speed sensor instead of a cable and can be swapped out for cable speedo parts. The good point for the 241 is the slip yoke elimator that is available. To swap to a 205 you will need the output shaft in the trans changed which requires a complete teardown of the trans. No matter what you do unless you run a rear cv driveshaft you will have to lower the t case to get rid of the vibration. I should be able to get the t case parts for your 208 if you plan to go that direction. I will have to check if we have any more 241's.
    Not being sure what your plan is but in my oponion I would skip the SSR's and go with a set of 37x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/R's. Run them on a 15x8" wheel with 3" backspacing and it will just take a light grinding of the calipers. Hope this helps.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Buying a 208 would be the easiest, it'll bolt right on, although, I'd go for the 241. They can be hard to find, but you can get one with an electric speedo tailshaft, but then swap the tailshaft for a mechanical speedo. That, or just buy an electronic one from Auto Meter.

4. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

how much do you think it would cost to get my t case fixed? it wont click into any gear and slides in and out of em. i have a redneck bungee cord set up to keep it in 4 wd now. i really want to do an atlas but right now with buying axels lift tires etc. its out of the question. i dont mind lowering the t case temporarily till i get an atlas.

5. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i have really been considering doin the 15" wheel/caliper grinding thing 16 and 17 " rims are pricey enough let alone tire prices

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If you go with a 15x8" rim and 3" backspacing it should not require alot of grinding. I have 15x10" on mine with 4 1/8" BS and alot of grinding. If you are planning to run a 12.5" wide tire they actually work better on an 8" wheel. The reason I stated about the MT/R's is the cost difference from the Swamper. If you look around for the best deal you can save about $50 a tire. Going by what I have seen at Paragon I think either would be a good choise but I think the MT/R has a little better grip on the rocks. Don't get me wrong since I has SSR's on mine origionally and loved them. They are by far the best road mannored Swamper ever made IMO but I was looking at it from a cost aspect. I'll have to check with Roger on the t case deal but like I said he is out of town at this time. I know how to get in touch with him though and will be calling him over the weekend.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

All I have ever found in a 15" 8 lug wheels has been steel. I don't think you can get alloy wheels.

8. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

let me know what you find out with roger. i think the mtr's a re good rock tire but as cheasy as it sounds they just dont look burly enough for me. my favorite tire i ever had were sx's, crappy on the road and wore real fast.i will probably end up buyin steel wheels just because of the price issue.